Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I just put on a RS - 5 slip-on recently on my 05 600RR and want to upgrade to a full system, someone told me that it wasn't gonna be as loud as the slip-on, I already like how loud it is and rather it be louder than faster, just wanted to verify with yall first before I get one. Also does anyone know how much more performance it is compare to the slip-on, thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quick question for you ( you could use the bump) When you ride, do you use earplugs? At the moment I'm running stock, and I get deaf if I don't.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No sir I don't, don't have any problems with that, my buddies with fixed up Yamaha's are even louder than me, so i'm on a mission to be louder than them lol.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I think you can buy just the headers and use your current slip on . . . but yeah, it should be louder . . . less restriction on the exhaust gasses = less restriction on noise.

You should contact yoshimura directly instead of going through a dealer, because i don't think most dealers can get just the headers.

Yoshimura is located in Chino, CA

Here's the link:
http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/contact.asp

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
Paging Mr. Birdman. Can Mr. Birdman please enter this thread.

You won't get much performance from the Yoshi full sytem. Also if you are going full system it would be best to get a PC and a custom map. A full system can make the bike run either rich or lean. Can't remember which it is, and it's not good for the bike.

If you want something retardly loud than remove the muffler from the mid pipe.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've heard that if you just have a slip-on that the bikes computer will compensate for the lean/rich problem, but if you go for the full system that you would need to look at getting a power comander( mapped?)

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
You won't get much performance from the Yoshi full sytem. Also if you are going full system it would be best to get a PC and a custom map. A full system can make the bike run either rich or lean. Can't remember which it is, and it's not good for the bike
Actually it can be too rich AND too lean. A slip-on can do the same thing.

The the OP, if you're not racing then you're wasting your money on a FS. Keep the Slip-on and get a custom map instead.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I've heard that if you just have a slip-on that the bikes computer will compensate for the lean/rich problem, but if you go for the full system that you would need to look at getting a power comander( mapped?)
The stock ECU has no way of knowing the A/F ratio has changed. It's set with fixed values from the factory. That's what the PCIII is for.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You won't get much performance from the Yoshi full sytem. Also if you are going full system it would be best to get a PC and a custom map. A full system can make the bike run either rich or lean. Can't remember which it is, and it's not good for the bike.

quote]

Do you have any actual evidence that yoshi doesnt produce much power?
I'm just wondering where you draw this claim from.

And as far as rich or lean, it would most likely be both depending on the throtle position and RMPs.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts

And as far as rich or lean, it would most likely be both depending on the throtle position and RMPs.
He might be referring to the comparison of the Yoshi FS vs the Yoshi slip-on. I know on my Leo the only difference in the dyno curve for the FS and the SO was in the lower rpm range. The mid and upper range of the curve was almost identical so I couldn't justify the extra $$$ for the FS.

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts

quote]

I don't have any actual evidence but PM Birdman about it. He has dyno'd/tested just about every exhaust out there and the Yoshi full system makes close to no more power than the slip-on does.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I see, so you are refering to the difference between the slip on and the FS. Yeah, I can beleive that. I could believe that there is little more power to be gained through a full system compared to any slip on. I mean, most if the restriction is in the stock muffler.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I see, so you are refering to the difference between the slip on and the FS. Yeah, I can beleive that. I could believe that there is little more power to be gained through a full system compared to any slip on. I mean, most if the restriction is in the stock muffler.
That and Honda actually did a pretty good job on the headers. They're just too heavy.

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts

Yah comparing slip-on to full system. Now comparing yoshi to other systems it is poo-poo. If you're looking for power go Arata full system with a custom map.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not to be a ****, but, does anyone have a clue what an exhaust does on a 4 stroke motor? Forget the dyno runs. Simply what does the exhaust do on a small displacement engine (4 Stroke)? We're not dealing with a 2 stroke,where it makes or breaks it (sometimes both) Just curious to see who knows why the Akra is better than the Yosh, vs. the Leo, etc......
Thanks,
Bri

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for some info guys but, is there any other way it can be louder without tampering with exhaust like a new air filter or something?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yah comparing slip-on to full system. Now comparing yoshi to other systems it is poo-poo. If you're looking for power go Arata full system with a custom map.
how do you know this about the yosh?
Can you show me the results that convinced you that the yosh is "poo-poo"... haha.

I dont love yosh or anything and I'm not defending it. I just dont see how there could be much difference between mufflers on small 4-cycle engines... Evidence please

I also understand that Yoshimura has a rather extensive R&D dept.

I also doubt that the Arata full system vs. the Arata slip on makes much difference in power, however the weight savings is undoubtedly significant.

I put my RS-5 slip on last weekend along with a power commander. It is in the shop this weekend until Tuesday to get mapped. I am quite anxious to get it back and see if this exhaust has allowed for any more power. I can assure you I will publish the results. Be it poor or otherwise.

(to be continued...)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Earplugs??? The Leo V on my 06 isn't that much louder to me at least not that annoying loud which would require earplugs. Loud is for rednecks with potato-potato bikes. I know it's silly but my stock was swapped because I wanted to tinker and get a better sound but then again I'm kinda older than most here. Mission accomplished. PC3 next.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts