Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how long is the msf certificate good for to but on your license... our instructors told us one month... but that doesnt make any sense... i know they probably just wanted us to go an do right away so when we take the temps test while its fresh in our memories... but can any one tell me if this sounds right?

·
Registered
65 Posts
msf course in PA - written test, riding test

after you pass the riding test you get your license and the M endorsment on your liscense. I don't know where you live, but PA rocks for motorcycle riders. Free, good locations, great instructors.

·
Registered
282 Posts
the temps test will be a breeze if you've ever ridden a motorcycle, and if you have the "gold" copy of your waiver you should be able to go get your license anytime.

i already have my temps and i will be done with my msf course this friday and i will be going to the dmv on monday to pay my money and get my license.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I passed mine in 2000, I still have my form (DL 189 is it?) and I used it just recently to register my bike to ride on base. In the military they make it mandatory that you take the MSF course before you ride on base. Thank goodness I already had it under my belt so I didn't have to worry about it. As far as expiring for license purposes, I don't think that's true either. I waited several months after my MSF completion before I took the written test.

·
Registered
282 Posts
ps, i'm from wisconsin and that's how it works here.

take temps, take msf, get waiver for dmv skills test, pay to get license, done.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
MeltdOwn350 said:
ps, i'm from wisconsin and that's how it works here.

take temps, take msf, get waiver for dmv skills test, pay to get license, done.
Same way here in Kentucky, had my "Temps" before the MSF.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just passed the MSF course this past weekend, and I got the endorsement yesterday... yippee!!! i have no idea about your question though. =)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help guys.. but that really didnt answer my question... how long do you have to use the certificate... as in get it put on ur license. cause they only told me a month until the dmv wont use it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well, i think the question is WHY don't you get it sooner than when it expires? i.e. just go and get your license... Not to be pushy, but in CO it takes 2 minutes to walk in, take a ticket, pay $1, get you picture taken, and leave.

just my .02

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
ridetilidie said:
thanks for the help guys.. but that really didnt answer my question... how long do you have to use the certificate... as in get it put on ur license. cause they only told me a month until the dmv wont use it.
Yea, the question is still kinda open....I guess your best bet would be to call the DMV and ask them. I would go ahead and get it ASAP, you will not have any problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
30 days

I am 98% sure it is 30 days. It might vary from state to state, but here in Hawaii my cousin passed the MSF course, but failed the written permit test. He had to leave the state the next week and couldn't get his license because his certificate expired.

·
Registered
228 Posts
They told us when I took the course that the certificate was good indefinitely for insurance purposes, but was only good for 60 days (I think) from the graduation date on the card for your license.

After 60 days, they told us you had to take all the DDS tests, written, riding, all over again. I just took my card in about a week after I got it and got my license.... Didn't want to risk it. That was back in Nov-Dec and I used my certificate in March to help insurance on my bike.

But as always, the best bet would be to check the MSF website or you local license department.

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
r3z_ said:
msf course in PA - written test, riding test

after you pass the riding test you get your license and the M endorsment on your liscense. I don't know where you live, but PA rocks for motorcycle riders. Free, good locations, great instructors.
+1

I passed the MSF and was very happy with taking it.

Jason

·
Registered
207 Posts
ridetilidie said:
I'm an instructor here in CO. The card is valid for 1 year. But it might vary state to state. I would call your local DMV to be sure.

·
Registered
344 Posts
In VA the MSF Certification is valid for 2 years before the VA DMV will not honor it.

The motorcycle permit for VA i *believe* is good for a year before that expires, it could be 6 months though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The instructor here in flordida said it was good forever. Just in case we went to another state it would prove that we took the course and not have to do the whole DMV BS to get a new license.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
In CA I got my permit before I took the MSF then took the MSF ent to the DMV and turned in the certificate and they gave me the M1 endorsment. I went right away because I wanted to ride on the freeway legally

1 - 20 of 21 Posts