Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met a guy who said he would paint my full fairing sharkskinz for a low price.
Saw his work and it was surprisingly good. He said he would use his buddy's paint shop and do a very professional job.

24 hours later, he calls and says it's done. He tells me to come over to pick it up. This worried me. Turns out he decided to do it in his garage! When I get there he ends up having me work on it with him for about 8 hours buffing and fixing some of the mistakes. Some of the many mistakes!

Keep in mind he said he would paint my fairings for a good price. I told him the quotes I got from professional custom shops and he said he'll be fair.

After 8 hours of working on the fairings and hearing him say "man this is a really great job" and still having areas that were either painted thin or not even cover at all... I just said I need to go and got over these huge mistakes. His asking price was waaaaaaaay over what I expected to pay! It was more than what the other places quoted me, and they were professional shops! I didn't even have enough money to pay in full because I figured it couldn't be more than the shops I talked to. Like an idiot I gave him all the money I had and still fell short $110.00.

Forgot to mention, I am hooking him up with meguiars products.
Now that I got home I have had some time to actually look over the fairings in the light and they are pathetic. I have done better jobs spray painting pieces before. Not only is their runs in some parts, but some areas are missing clear coat, and even missing paint in general! This guy was acting like he was the worlds first custom painter and for the fact that I was working with him, I should pay more! I am so pissed because he told me he is counting on me to bring the meguiars stuff and the rest of the money next weekend. What would you guys do? I want the fairings repainted 'cause his touch up jobs look like ass. And how much have you paid for a solid color scheme on a full fairing kit, minus the fenders? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
****...I know bobby keith paints full sets of race fairings around the bay area for around 500 bucks. and its damn good quality. I would give him all the meguiars products he ask for....but dump them out and replace it with paint thinner...that will teach him good!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad paint job. dude, i wouldn't give that guy anything else. hell i'ld be telling him to give my money back. if he gives u grief show him all the flaws in the job he did. but live and learn man. u should of at least seen some of his work 1st before letting him paint ur bike. if ur not sure go with a pro. in my opinion.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
i would not give him anything except the bill for the new paint job
croocks suck

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
are you kidding me...

I can't believe you paid for this job at all.

Just for your info, one solid color shouldn't cost more than around $200, so if you paid anything over that you are basically paying for the work that he did (except for that you did it too...)

There's no way I would have paid him, and no way I'd hook this guy up with anything, you got screwed man.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
ya i would have loaded up the plastics, told him i needed to go to a atm and never have gone back.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gonzo RR said:
Sorry to hear about the bad paint job. dude, i wouldn't give that guy anything else. hell i'ld be telling him to give my money back. if he gives u grief show him all the flaws in the job he did. but live and learn man. u should of at least seen some of his work 1st before letting him paint ur bike. if ur not sure go with a pro. in my opinion.
See the problem is, I did see his work before I let him paint and I'm starting to think that it was someone elses work. It was just his bike that he said he painted. I am so pissed at myself for even paying this guy. It pains me to even look at these fairings because my eyes immediately are drawn to the mistakes. I did indeed get screwed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Toe said:
****...I know bobby keith paints full sets of race fairings around the bay area for around 500 bucks. and its damn good quality. I would give him all the meguiars products he ask for....but dump them out and replace it with paint thinner...that will teach him good!
Haha, I love the paint thinner idea! Do you have any contact info for Bobby Keith? I don't even want to put these fairings on the bike. It seems they get worse and worse the more I look at them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
speaking of paint anyone know where i can get a nice paint job...( entire bike, one solid red color ) for a good price...in the south jersey or philadelphia area...how much should i expect to pay

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
get some guys together and go get your money back... that's all there is to it. He provided a service that you did not intend to pay for in the first place. Had his paint work been good, it would have been worth the money, but that's not the case.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
WHAT?! i hope you are exagerating with the 8 hours of work because after walking in the door with him not being done and with that crappy of a job i would have told him to shove it up his ass and left. much less if he asked me to help i would have probably punched him in the face. wow.... not only should you have not paid him, but you should be either making him do it until it is at your satisfaction for the price you negotiate (not the price he sets because he is not certified obviously and not professional) or taking it to a pro at his expense. if that doesnt work take it to the authorities. dont be scared to put your boot up this guys ass because obviously hes not afraid to put his up yours.

N

·
0 Posts
Man, grow some balls and say, "I really appreciate all the work and effort you put into the fairings, but the painting came nowhere close to what I was expecting nor what we agreed upon - professional painting or even close to it. I'm afraid I can't pay your full asking price but I can afford to buy you a CAN OF WHOOP ASS!!!"

·
Why isn't this an option? Why man, why?
2,641 Posts
ME2 said:
are you kidding me...

I can't believe you paid for this job at all...
...There's no way I would have paid him, and no way I'd hook this guy up with anything, you got screwed man.
+1 there is no way i would of paid him anything.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I like this approach

Nemesis said:
Man, grow some balls and say, "I really appreciate all the work and effort you put into the fairings, but the painting came nowhere close to what I was expecting nor what we agreed upon - professional painting or even close to it. I'm afraid I can't pay your full asking price but I can afford to buy you a CAN OF WHOOP ASS!!!"

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
walk in his door with a professional quote to fix his crap and a subpoena and he'll negotiate with you real quick

·
Registered
888 Posts
plain and simple you got screwed
plus you helped him w/ the work he was supposed to do?
then you paid him? and you're hooking him up w/ meguire stuff?
that's insane
get you're $ back and get it professionally painted

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
Ouch...post some pics lets see the damage.

I feel your pain b/c a long time ago I had an s-10 painted by a "hookup" whom was recommended to me. It was a beater truck so I didn't really care about the end result but lets just say that insects were stuck to the paint and there were some big drips in certain areas. Still, I couldn't expect more for $150 plus I bought the paint.

I painted my own lowers and they came out great. Some parts are starting to get chips from rocks, road tar, and the screws but it still looks very nice. I recommend you do the same esp since you helped this guy work on yours you probably know a little about the process.

·
Registered
604 Posts
ROFL!!!! too funny, yeah this way works best.

Nemesis said:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts