Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got a gopro after wanting one for years, I got the Hero 4 this winter. what Id like to know is where have you that have these mainly mounted them? I was also thinking of going w/ the suction cup if there is a suitable spot to attach it to on the 2006. Also have any of you tied off your gopro's to something on the bike your yourself while riding? I have heard of them coming off in some cases ( depending on what mount is being used ) but wanted to see if this is something commonly done or not, last thing I want is for my Hero 4 to be lost who know's where while out riding. If anyone has any video's could you post them up and with what location you have the gopro mounted from. I would like to see different angles to see which view I like the best, I've tried searching youtube for this but could not find a lot w/ the RR.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i have one on my helmet on the right side, gonna put one on the front strickly for commuting/accident purposes. i also have one on the left side of the swing arm towards the top so it doesn't hit the ground while im going through corners. swing arm mount is mainly for canyon riding so i can see my lean angle and how im progressing. i also have one on the rear cowl in the middle. this one faces front so i can watch my body position through corners as well as to face backwards to film other riders for the same thing. i have not had any issues yet with losing my gopro(knock on wood) and i do not use any tethers. however i am looking into tether my camera to my bike. i would HATE to lose my $400.00 camera

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
Usually have mine with sticky pad on side of helmet, tethered to strap. Have sticky on tail, tethered to bracket under tail cowl, and use a handle bar mount on swingarm spool.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use the RAM steerer mount for my gopro on track. Can get a good view of the dash and thru the screen.

Pic of a member's setup here.

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like I'll have to pick up a few of the sticky pads and the tether straps, mine did not come w/ any, should have for the price.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yea, they got cheap once the first gem got popular with the amount of accessories it now comes with. One curved one flat mount. I got 3/3 with the original plus suction cup and other sh*t.

Are you riding track or street? Make sure you also have it safety wired or tethered with some type of cord. I had mine and it still went flying, just not too far away.

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will be for street, Id love to get track footage but its just not in the cards at the moment to do that. The tethers from gopro are a cord type material. The only accessories I got was the helmet attachment one curved pad and one flat pad. The helmet location seems to be a real popular place to put them, I had not planned on doing this at first but w/ the more video Ive seen of it the more I do like it. I'm hoping the suction cup mount will fit on the mids if I decide to get one.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
The sticky things are the best... but they will stay in your bike forever..

For getting cool shots you can find some supports meant for the forks...

I have a sticky in on the tail... (you either see your ass mainly or the guy behind you)

I had a nother on the nose... Great to see the road... If you don't care that the angle is 25º tilted... Also good for selfie video... Also with some tilt.

The problem with the suction cup is that doesn't feel safe... My Go-Pro went flying on the highway at 120 MPH, the support just broke..

TIP: Be sure to have some kind of cable tied to camera and bike in case the support brakes... The sucker is quite expensive to replace...

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe I'll just forgo the suction cup mount then, it seems better suited for a car windshied then the side of a bike anyway. I do want to keep down the number of suction cups I do have on the bike so I'll find the spots where I think it will look the best and put them there. My neighbor has an SV650 and a gopro so I'm hoping to get some good riding footage this summer, the fork mount seems pretty cool the 25* lean angle would not bother me to much

·
Registered
829 Posts
Suction cup is only rated up to 120 mph, so not surprising you lost it. Do not use the suction cup on matte or satin finish paint. It will fall off just depends how long it will take.

I haven't found a place on my bike that I like the suction cup yet. I can't put it on 90% of my paint because it is matte and won't hold suction. But I intend to use the camera for more than my bike so the suction cup was a good buy for me.

Edit: I did find that the suction cup sticks very well to my Scorpion Exo-500 helmet. No problems riding 2 hours 1-way to the lake last summer. Can't say I remember breaking 120 mph on that trip to test its effectiveness up to the rated speed though

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Samples:

Tail camera pointing forward:

Tail camera pointing backwards: (the begining is a little bumpy)

Camera on nose pointing back: (I really liked this footage!)

Cam on nose pointing forward: (prettiest route I ever did, just gorgeous place!)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got my GoPro this last Christmas and I live in a northern state so I haven't gotten a lot of footage on it yet, but I can tell you some things. The sticky mounts DO come off clean with heat. I mounted mine crooked and left it for about a month until I got around to removing it. I used a hair dryer and it came off with a bit of work with nothing left on the paint. I'm running with a tail mount, primarily for group rides facing backwards. I haven't used it other than for testing purposes, but there's a group ride coming up in a few weeks.

I also have it mounted on my helmet on the chin, and that's an excellent position. It's more of a POV than mounting it on the top or side of the helmet. You can see the gages, the road, and your helmet isn't blocking any side views. Because of my helmet shape, mine is mounted just like this one.

I'd like to put a sticky on the front facing rear as others on here have done, but I'll need to buy additional pieces for that.

From what I've read, I'll never purchase the suction cup. Way too many people have lost that thing, it just doesn't seem worth it, especially since the sticky's come off. Maybe if my bike was in nicer condition I would think about it, but the possibility of losing my camera vastly outweighs putting a smudge on my bike which has been pushed over twice and 40,000 miles in not so great weather.

If you think of anything new as far as locations please post up. Not enough people share their mounting ideas.

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply's and the video posted. I'll be unable to place a mount on the front of my helmet, it is shaped in a way that not even the curved mount will work, I'll have to have it off to the side for it to work. I ordered some pads and tethers and I'll keep one for my helmet and find the other spots to mount it on the bike as well.

·
BOTM Winner Jan 2015
1,960 Posts
There's a mount that replaces one of your mirrors. I don't remember the name of it though. Might be worth checking into. I may be getting a Hero soon and I really don't want to put a sticky on my helmet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,635 Posts

·
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is what I have so far, appears to be the only spot I can mount a helmet cam other then the very top, like I said before the odd shape of the front prevents me from getting the POV from the front.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts