• Yep and some damage

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres two kinds of people i believe... those that have forgotten their disk lock on and tried to pull away, and those that wont admit it.:icon_lol: Correct me if im wrong.....

·
Registered
810 Posts
more than once on different bikes, different locks.

Its usually when you get interupted as you walk up to the bike - phone rings, someone talks to you & the routine goes out the window.
Did it once with the GF on the back ! now that was funny .....

·
Registered
475 Posts
on my first bike (gs500) in highschool i just finsihed my finals was walking and talking to a friend got on the bike started it put my gear on said bye and put it in gear rode up a little and the lock just ripped into peices when it hit the fork(thats wat u get when u buy a 20dollar lock) bike tryed falling but i held it up with my left leg, and put the kickstand up Extremely embarrassing luckily not too many people left

·
Registered
802 Posts
I got that cord that attaches to the lock and clipon to remind me. I dont think a disk lock is much more than a visual deterant anyway. Like most security devices; it only stops the casual thief but the pros will get it if they want.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I did once... On my 954, couple years ago. Then someone stole my disk lock...

Bastards!

Yea they wanted it so bad they took the bike with it!

·
Registered
475 Posts

Bastards!

lol sry to hear

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Bastards!

Man really sorry to hear that... where did they steal it from? home? work?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
on my first bike (gs500) in highschool i just finsihed my finals was walking and talking to a friend got on the bike started it put my gear on said bye and put it in gear rode up a little and the lock just ripped into peices when it hit the fork(thats wat u get when u buy a 20dollar lock) bike tryed falling but i held it up with my left leg, and put the kickstand up Extremely embarrassing luckily not too many people left
Haha Damn that hurts!!! im sorry i have to laugh cause i did the exact thing... trying to impress someone when i first got my first bike and forgotten i had left the disk lock on.... a little hard acceleration and bang! im barely holding up the bike as its laying on a 60 degree angle... well my pride is hurt but nothing else so i think whew... dodged a bullet there... damn was i wrong... i pull away after unlocking the disk and almost rearend a car cause my brakes are not working!?! turns out i bent my rotor.... research the cost of a new rotor set (youre supossed to replace both) and then the "use only once bolts" yada yada and im looking at being out a couple grand after labour... for a forgotten disk lock for crying out loud!!! well needless to say my hobbiest motorcycle repair career started right there... hundred bucks on ebay later and im back on the road..... and much more observant

·
Registered
520 Posts
i have done it on more than one occasion, after the first time i took the broken peice of fender and epoxied it back on, 2 weeks later i did it again and did my first "mod" to my bike, took a dremel smoothed out the broken area and boom instant factory looking disk lock mod....ie it wont break anything any more if i forget it...
and yes my dog likes the camera

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Man really sorry to hear that... where did they steal it from? home? work?
Home, but it was my own fault.

Lived in an Apt, had taken out the bikes to go for a ride. Had to take the truck to a friends house. Was gone about an hour.

Came back and both my 02 954 and 03 600RR were gone...

My own fault, it was about an hour with neighbors home in broad daylight... I thought I would be safe for an hour. NOPE!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Haha Damn that hurts!!! im sorry i have to laugh cause i did the exact thing... trying to impress someone when i first got my first bike and forgotten i had left the disk lock on.... a little hard acceleration and bang! im barely holding up the bike as its laying on a 60 degree angle... well my pride is hurt but nothing else so i think whew... dodged a bullet there... damn was i wrong... i pull away after unlocking the disk and almost rearend a car cause my brakes are not working!?! turns out i bent my rotor.... research the cost of a new rotor set (youre supossed to replace both) and then the "use only once bolts" yada yada and im looking at being out a couple grand after labour... for a forgotten disk lock for crying out loud!!! well needless to say my hobbiest motorcycle repair career started right there... hundred bucks on ebay later and im back on the road..... and much more observant
its all good dude, i got lucky though mine was a cheap lock so the lock got damaged and the bike so much but hey im happy i did it and not a thief who got lucky (not that any one was going to steal that bike lol it was a 92 purple gs500)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
i dont use a disc lock, but id agree with those who said that one usually forgets it when he/she gets distracted.............

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if it was not for the orange cord to the bars i would not be laughing.
I had bought mine before they started coming with the cord... plus there are still a lot on the market without cords... with that said though after that incident i used the penny trick and i never made that mistake again... then i just got an alarm... two thumbs up for 2 way paging!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
mines got an alarm on it too so if I do forget it, the alarm will go nuts when I try to move the bike at all. I guess its good for keeping people away and keeping me from doing something dumb

·
Hitz eit from z back
5,357 Posts
You guys do know theirs a rear wheel with a rotor that a disk lock can fit on right? Its actually safer and makes the bike harder to steal. IMO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts