Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I am new to the CBR scene and I've always been one to do my own maintenance when possible on my bikes :) That being said I have never done fork seal replacement before, and I had my left fork spring a leak. I have the forks removed and taken apart, cleaned and seals replaced but am confused on the reassembly. My springs came out as a whole piece (see pic below) and not sure whether or not I am supposed to take these apart further or if I can just put them back together as is and service through the spring into the fork tube and just pump it? My bike is a 2006. Ready to get this show back on the road! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
you should take it down further because its going to be nearly impossible to get the oil level right with everything as is. you'll need something to compress the spring to get the cap off. There is a great thread here regarding fork seal maintenance that details disassembling the forks. its not hard.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Also, check out an ancient writeup on 05 forks, with a valving mod...
look for; peterverdonedesigns.

very good step by step, wonder where that guy went....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Thanks for the link Grey, I am going to have to order the compression tool as I don't have time to make one and i'll need it in the future anyway. Ill post more in process and once I am done!

·
Registered
57 Posts
no problem, it was really a pretty easy job. I bought the tool and the holder from traxxion, as well as a fork seal driver and oil level measuring tool from motion pro, and I think that was it.

only issue I had was that I cracked that white plastic piece on top of the spring and had to get a replacement halfway though the job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I did my fork seals, I never took apart the whole spring assembly. I just let everything drain as much as it could (pump them, turn them upside down, whatever) then wipe down with a lint free cloth to make sure it's nice and clean for the new seal. Use the plastic bag it came in to install onto the fork so you don't hurt the seal, you'll see people do this on any write up, then reassemble. Before tightening springs on top near ignition, pull out the fork slightly and fill it with whatever it says you need to fill. I find that when it's filled to the very top with it pulled out about an inch seems to be right around the level the manual calls for on the different bikes I've done it on. But don't worry, +/- a few drops isn't gonna make a big difference. The springs do well enough on their own for a lightweight rider like me LOL but as long as you got some fluid in there it'll give it the added resistance/dampening it needs for a smooth ride. If you do a lot of wheelies or ride on pothole-covered third-world freeways like the ones here in southern Cali then set your front end to be a bit stiffer so you don't risk bottoming out, which I don't need to tell you how bad that is for your suspension. Also the less travel the seal is doing will make it last better in the long run. I've done near 20k miles since my last seal change with no problems or leaks on my current '08 600rr.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that make sure you lubricate the seal a bit before installing, as you would an oil filter. After everything's installed then you can wipe down the fork to clean any excess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I finally recieved the compressor tool from amazon and sure enough it was not the right size 😑 the mech in me said screw it and got the angle grinder and modified it. Fits now haha I also had the same issue with the white cap cracking so had to order another. The spring compression...deff a PITA! I used ratchet straps and a vice the first time, sketchy and broke the cap. Second time around I used a motorcycle jack, ratchet straps and a block of wood. Still sketchy but I was able to release tension and readjust with ease! See pic. I made the mistake of not turning the dampening adjustment all the way tight when I installed the fork bolt so had to do it again, and the bottom seal was leaking anyway. Drained it and wiped it back down to remove any debris, seems better now. Preciate all the help guys, all that's left is to finish putting back together and get back on the road. Fingers crossed they don't leak anymore!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts