Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a day of learning to wheelie I sat it down to hard and now im leaking some oil from clutch side front fork. Pretty sure its prolly the seal I turned to toast so I called local stealership for a quote. 130 for parts and labor. Is that a good price? for those that have done this before does it feel a bit funny immediately after? I went to slow down and turn off road and it felt somewhat wobbly. I checked everything and it seems good with exception of oil leakin a bit. I know they have some pressure to them so didnt know maybe if it was the compression loss that iI felt. I rode home and didnt notice anything odd about the ride. Just wondering .

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
So after a day of learning to wheelie I sat it down to hard and now im leaking some oil from clutch side front fork. Pretty sure its prolly the seal I turned to toast so I called local stealership for a quote. 130 for parts and labor. Is that a good price? for those that have done this before does it feel a bit funny immediately after? I went to slow down and turn off road and it felt somewhat wobbly. I checked everything and it seems good with exception of oil leakin a bit. I know they have some pressure to them so didnt know maybe if it was the compression loss that iI felt. I rode home and didnt notice anything odd about the ride. Just wondering .
around here they charge $250 for fork seals. I'd say it's still expensive, but not as much as a lot of places here in ny. I won't be taking my bike to get them done that's for sure!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
five bucks difference isnt too bad. 30 for oil and seal and i guess 100 for labor? lol.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I bet that price is for forks already off the bike. $200 is the cheapest I have seen for seal service on-bike.

It's expensive, being a squid... And it will get even more expensive of you neglect it and fork oil contaminates your calipers and brake pads.

Hope that wheelie training was worth it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
first and last day wheelies. and that is with them taking fork off the bike. Its where i bought it and i was sure to ask cause i was expecting more. BTW its not being neglected its sitting in my garage until the parts arrive for it to be fixed and I am not retarded enough to allow the oil to be draining into my brakes and calipers. It stays wiped down until its loaded and taken to the shop. Squid..hardly I have ridden for 20 years and simply sat it down a bit hard which many have done before me that have wheelie much longer than myself. So dont speak when you dont have a clue what you are talking about.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
forks off, i paid 130. around here it is anywhere from 130-180.

its not a bad idea to do it every1-2 years anyways. get rid of the used up oil. $130 is cheap insurance that the 2nd most important thing on my bike works great.

·
Registered
606 Posts
One thing you may want to factor into the cost is if you have to replace any of the bushings.

I just replaced my fork seals because of a leak on the right-side one and I changed the bushings as well because the Teflon was flaking off the slider bushing.

Old one in front with the new one behind it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ill check them out when they pull them apart. if needed ill replace them as well. motosport shows them to be around another 20 which isnt bad

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
If you have the skills and tools to take the fork off, you can do the fork seal yourself. You need to spend a few bucks on special tools, but it's less than $130, and you have the tools. Check out the Fork Seal How To in the 07-08 How To section.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have considered that but getting it back in the triple tree at the same height as the other fork is my concern.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
i have considered that but getting it back in the triple tree at the same height as the other fork is my concern.

if they are anything like a 929 or f4i, there is a steel ring on teh forks that you bottom out on and thats teh stock height.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.