Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my '05 has the ohlins cartridges and the spring was setup for a rider that weighed 230pounds. I only weigh 165(naked) 178(geared). What is a recommended fork spring rate for the cartridges. I also have a penske rear shock. I believe its with in spec at the rear. If not time to get a spring for my weight.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
.9 kg/mm for you. - do a spring rates search on www.racetech.com for precise specifications.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Not sure how the Ohlins cartridges affect the spring rate, but in my '03 600RR race bike I was using 1.0 on the left side and .95 on the right (not that it matters which side). At that time I weighed closer to 155lbs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I weigh the same as you. I use either .95 or .925 (a .9 in one tube and .95 in the other). I've had problems bottoming the forks with .925's on tracks with several heavy braking areas, so I use .95 at tracks like that.

I have also ran a .90, and they were just way too soft for me. There really is no magic spring rate that is perfect for every track though. The charts are good for getting a ballpark rate, but don't be afraid to go up or down to try things out. When you hear about race teams doing "bike setup", they are usually referring to geometry and spring rates. I'm sure that Thermosman (Ohlins USA) would sell you individual springs to fine tune what you already have.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
^I was going to suggest the same thing as the past two posters. But you really need to find a local shop (if you can) and talk to them about this. Your riding style and habits will also factor into which springs you want. Is this a track/race bike only or are you planning on riding the streets also?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was a track bike. I'm just making it grey area street legal (working brake light and removable signals). I plan on taking 2-3 track day schools before I climb on the bike and track it myself. Currently it's canyon riding only. I'm anxious to stop that and track it only.

Thank you for all the input guys. Randy from Inhouse Suspension readjusted things for me. He suggested I take it back to the guy who set it up originally (john ethell). Either way I will go down in spring and have the adjustments made accordingly.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
It was a track bike. I'm just making it grey area street legal (working brake light and removable signals). I plan on taking 2-3 track day schools before I climb on the bike and track it myself. Currently it's canyon riding only. I'm anxious to stop that and track it only.

Thank you for all the input guys. Randy from Inhouse Suspension readjusted things for me. He suggested I take it back to the guy who set it up originally (john ethell). Either way I will go down in spring and have the adjustments made accordingly.

Did you get your Fork Cartridges Taken care of with correct springs.?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts