Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been saving up for a 2003 and i came across one on craigslist salvage title, 19,000 miles, for 3,000. Talked the guy down to 1900 cash. the problem is the bike needs new fork seals and chain and sprocket. You guys think this is a good deal and easy fix, says it runs top notch, need some advice dont want to end up dropping alot of extra money that i dont have

·
Registered
114 Posts
do you have anymore info on condition and such or a link? That would help in others giving you good opinions. I would say if everything else on the bike is good, then you could do the fork seals yourself and the chain and sprockets too to save money. If you know what your doing that could be very doable.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Depends on a lot of things. Are comfortable wrenching on something? Why was the bike salvaged? I dont put a lot of stock in the bike just based on what the owner says. When I hear 'runs top notch' i believe that it probably starts, not much more. Need pictures and more info.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Honestly, you should invest a little more money into a bike that you won't have to do much work to. It may cost you $1900 for that bike but in the end repairing the folk seal, chain and sprocket is going to add up. Also, you have to factor in the time and money doing those stuff too.

If you do insist on going with the deal, just make sure you check everything out before you buy. Ask everything! lol

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Steer clear of a salvaged title unless you are fully capable of building a bike from the ground up or know a lot about bikes. You may want to figure out why the title is salvaged too.

Also if you ever plan on selling it you will have a hard time getting anything out of it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Forks seals + chain and sprockets installed at a dealer could easily be $500. DIY + Internet shopping closer to $200ish.

Salvage could mean bent frame. Unless you know what you are doing, I'd stay away.

·
Registered
96 Posts
He really seems to be trying to get rid of it if he's dropping the price that much. Just be aware of the reason why he's so desperate.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wouldn't do it. you can spend a little bit more and get one without a salvage title that doesn't need work. about a month ago when i was searching for another bike there was an abundance of 03-06 rr's from 3-5k. i offered one guy 3k for a 05 with 26k on the odo. he was asking 4k. He said he'd accept it but i found a better deal a couple days later. just my opinion.

·
Registered
621 Posts
That bike has been wheeled the **** to death. that is what it has a salve title.

Find something else. best advice I can give is buy something that will require no work. I don't know about you but I like riding more than repairing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree w/what's already been said in here..Where are you located? I'd say wait & save up some more since riding season is pretty much winding down..By the time you get parts & fix the bike winter will be here &:

a) you won't be able to enjoy riding yet
b) a Better deal will have popped up..

·
Registered
101 Posts
If he dropped the price that low from 3k, you know it's not a good deal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You have waited this long to get one, might as well wait a little longer and find something cleaner/realiable and etc. im not sure where you are located but winter is coming and the best prices are in winter. I bought my 03 600rr with 19k in decent condition for 2k. I rode it for half the summer and sold it for a decent profit. I would have kept it but I want something with less milage and might consider a cruiser this go around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts