Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I looked in the Fram book at my local store and the 03 600 RR wasn't listed. I was wondering if anyone knew the number for the Fram oil filter for the 03? Thanks, Frank R.

K

·
0 Posts
I'll be polite. Don't use a Fram filter. Put the book down and grab a Pureolator PureONE Filter, PL14612 or PL14610 (which is a touch longer but will clear stock exhaust manifolds).

If you get the PL14610, grab the Gold colored one with the grippy stuff on the can. They even have a rebate program, you get $2 back on your purchase of 1 PureONE oil filter.

Oh look at that, a wisconsinite! ha!

wow look at that... 10k posts... holy sh*t.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey guys,
I looked in the Fram book at my local store and the 03 600 RR wasn't listed. I was wondering if anyone knew the number for the Fram oil filter for the 03? Thanks, Frank R.
Fram PH6607 I use the same filter works great. I am in need of an oil change as well.

01-06 F4i
03-08 600RR

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys,
Thanks for the help. I always ran K&N in my 450 MXer. I went ahead and picked up the pureolater pl 14612. I will use a K&N for my next change. Thanks guys! Frank R.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
either that pure
or the mobil m108
hell even the plain oem filter is better than a fram

do a search on the internet for motorcycle oil filter reviews

Fram is noted for the famous quote
"this is an example of how not to build a filter"

·
Registered
796 Posts
I used the Mobil 1-m108 filter for my first oil change. Didn't hear any bad things about it and my bike didn't explode, so I'm assuming it is working well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Fram filters are garbage. I usually run a Wix oil filter in everything I own, but I do have a K&N on my bike. The attached nut is very handy for removing the oil filter. No more screw driver and hammer removals.

·
Registered
53 Posts
frams are junk period.

mobil is made by champ so any of the champ sister companies are good also (bosch, champ, mopar, supertech)

purulator are good also

wix is good

any of these three anything else is pretty much junk

now take in mind on what other filters these companies make

969 Posts
What oil filter feature do you look for when buying an oil filter? Is it micron level, length of service, can thickness, type of material of the anti-drain back valve, PSID setting of the internal by-pass valve, nut on the end for removal, anti bursting pressure, color of can or what?
george
ADG

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
What oil filter feature do you look for when buying an oil filter? Is it micron level, length of service, can thickness, type of material of the anti-drain back valve, PSID setting of the internal by-pass valve, nut on the end for removal, anti bursting pressure, color of can or what?
george
ADG
i look for the one that has been recommended by people that have cut them open and looked at what is inside.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

some quotes from above

amsoil-a flawed superior filter
Fram-cardboard
K&N-average filter with a 6$ nut on the end
mobil m108-nice filter media but not much of it, smaller unit (so it goes well behind headers)
Pure One PL14610- an example of fiters should be made

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/
quotes from this one
If anything, the Fram will show you how NOT to build a high performance oil filter

The Amsoil filter internally looks very similar to the Wix filter, but they are not the same. Semi-O ring gasket, well cut threads with no apparent burrs.

honda oem
This is how a high-performance oil filter should be built.

K&N
This could be my new favorite filter

mobil 1
This is a well-constructed filter, which Mobil 1 touts as having 98% single-pass particle filtration at 10 to 20 microns, and multiple-pass efficiency of 95% (vs. 80% for the average filter).

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks for the links RShackleford. Looks like I'll be trying out the Pure One filter next. Half the price of Mobil 1 too. Sweet.

969 Posts
i look for the one that has been recommended by people that have cut them open and looked at what is inside.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

some quotes from above

amsoil-a flawed superior filter
Fram-cardboard
K&N-average filter with a 6$ nut on the end
mobil m108-nice filter media but not much of it, smaller unit (so it goes well behind headers)
Pure One PL14610- an example of fiters should be made

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/
quotes from this one
If anything, the Fram will show you how NOT to build a high performance oil filter

The Amsoil filter internally looks very similar to the Wix filter, but they are not the same. Semi-O ring gasket, well cut threads with no apparent burrs.

honda oem
This is how a high-performance oil filter should be built.

K&N
This could be my new favorite filter

mobil 1
This is a well-constructed filter, which Mobil 1 touts as having 98% single-pass particle filtration at 10 to 20 microns, and multiple-pass efficiency of 95% (vs. 80% for the average filter).
The test on the Amsoil one is of the older version. There is no filters on the market that look like an Amsoil nano fiber filter. I cut many filters apart over the last 27 years and other than construction you can not tell how good a filter will perform while in service with the naked eye.
george
ADG

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The test on the Amsoil one is of the older version. There is no filters on the market that look like an Amsoil nano fiber filter. I cut many filters apart over the last 27 years and other than construction you can not tell how good a filter will perform while in service with the naked eye.
george
ADG

so which one do you recommend ( i wonder)

·
Registered
796 Posts
I ordered some Pure One filters (PL14612) on Amazon. $9.88 for a two pack. Free shipping if you spend $25+.
$2.94 per filter after rebate.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I use nothing but OEM filters. Its just not worth trying to save a few bucks on one of the most important parts of your bike.

All filters have an excess pressure relief valve. as you engine revs and the pressure within the filter increases (due to a largeer volume of oil flowing through it), the relief valve inside the filter opens up allowing UNFILTERED oil to return to the engine. So, althogh the filter may "seem" to be working, it is not filtering any oil when the relief valve opens. you might aswell be throwing the money you spend on substandard filters in the trash can.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are Honda Civic Filters the same as Honda OEM '07 RR filters ?
Just wondering , cuz the Civic filters are not too overpriced.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts