Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know where else to post this so here it is. Last sept. I bought a slavaged 04 600RR. The bike was in near mint contition. The owner said it was stolen and recovered, which is why it has the dirty title. I inspected the bike looking for frame damage and failed to find any. So I said screw it, and bought it. Last week when me and a buddy of mine took off the plastics to intsall sliders, I noticed there was a small gash in the frame near the left engine mount. It looks like there is a hairline fracture, which is in the direction to the engine mount bolt. It has not reached the bolt however, it still has about 1/2 an inch to travel. I dont know if it has always been there or just starting. I contacted the seller and he wanted pictures so I sent them, then he stopped responding. I dont really know what to do... I know replacing the frame would be rediculously expensive and labor intensive. So I am wondering if it would even be a problem, considering I have been riding the bike alot for the past 9 months. I have some pictures, but I dont know how to post them. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Aaron

·
Registered
170 Posts
haha. man what a coincidence. i have a possible bent frame on my 04 too. my name ism also Aaron. haha, BENT FRAME AARON'S UNITE. sorry for that outburst

·
Registered
109 Posts
my buddy at the insurance company said just claim it as an accident. like claim it as completely wrecked and buy a new bike from the pay off.. its just an idea.. i dont wanna corrupt your mind or even add problems..

but all in all.. i think that you should go and talk to the dude you bought it from.. face to face.. have him man up bout the crack in the frame.. if he stopped responding then im pretty sure he knows bout it.. im definite that if he got jacked up on a deal he wouldnt want that to happent o him neither..

·
Registered
639 Posts
get it welded?

My buddy stunts a 04 ZX10R, and he's on his 3rd frame, but he took the second one to a welder that fixed the cracks, and added supports where it keeps cracking, and I guess gussetted some other spots that looked like weak welds. If it's under the fairing, Im guessing a repair can be done to the crack, and then a small plate welded over that maybe?

·
Registered
251 Posts
frame is a really delicate matter...i guess the seller doesn't wanna hear about it, but keep bugging him.
I wouldn't weld it anyway... do you have a honda dealership nearby?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I have two near by. However, I need to avoid spending a small fortune on this... So having a dealership replace the frame is not a realistic possibility as of now. I would do it with my buddies, but I am not that confident in my wrench turning abilities. But there is a first for everything, so it might come to that.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
idk how the insurance company would handle it... like how you would claim it.. but that would definitely total out the bike if you wanted to go that route. my brother in law wrecked and had a just a few little scratches on his frame and when the insurance company heard that, it was over.

the seller really cant do anything about it... you inspected it before hand and it sounds like he was honest with you in telling you it was recovered and had a salvaged title.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Aaron47pb said:
Yeah, I have two near by. However, I need to avoid spending a small fortune on this... So having a dealership replace the frame is not a realistic possibility as of now. I would do it with my buddies, but I am not that confident in my wrench turning abilities. But there is a first for everything, so it might come to that.
sorry, i didn't mean to tell you to go to the dealership to get it fixed, I meant to take it there and show the mechanic the situation, then go to the second dealership and do the same thing.
So you can get an idea.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
there are a lot of good welders in the US they can practically fix that crack with a good TIG weld, if done properly it'll be as strong as it was when it was new.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
What year is it?

Long shot, but any chance for warantee to take this?

I wouldn't recommend attempting fraud on the insurance company. You didn't wreck the bike, it was simply something you missed upon inspection of purchase. Sadly, it's no fault of anyone but your own. I hate to say it that way, because it's impossible to check every last inch of the bike before a purchase. However, the damage is done and you can't really fault anyone else.

Only real options you have are to keep on riding it as is
weld it
replace it

I'd suggest welding it, as the crack is already there, so you can't really morally sell the bike knowing it's there. This way at least you know it won't get worse on ya, and it's still as functional.

Hopefully you got a good deal...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Drill a small hole at each end if the crack. This will hopefully keep it from growing. Go to a competent welder (try a tool welder)v-groove the crack and have the welder weld it. It would be best if you could use the same alloy as was used on the frame. I do not know where that info could be found though. If the alloy cannot be found you will have to use a universal rod. This will make the weld slightly weeker than original, but with the added material you should be fine. Do not be afraid of welding, it seems to be your only option. We use welded aircraft engine case halves on airplanes with no problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts