Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok here is a file i stumbled upon about the crash bobbins tested, and whats good, over rated, great for your $$ etc etc,

Gathered there is so much talk about this and that but yet no one has had any proof except for real time experience that is hard to measure one against the other..
Anyhow the link to it is here if you want to download and share it..

http://www.mediafire.com/?im1mnllkyjn

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I'll vouch for the Woodcrafts. Two lowsides on the same side with not too much body damage, just repaired some cracks and put em back on. The best part is when you crash you just replace the plastic piece instead of having to deal with bent metal parts.

·
Registered
697 Posts

I've used several and these are the best, IMHO.

Higher placement and a longer length makes the bike less likely to flip on the ground since the CG is lower.

They have 1/4" steel brackets that bolt onto the frame so if you do crash you can order new pucks or the aluminum shaft and replace in 2 minutes. No cutting and no chance of damaging your engine bolt either.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Stay away from those. They're crap and would snap like a stick upon impact and causes more damage. I've seen it happen. It's the poor design in the triangular bracket.

If you have 09+ look into cut-sliders (recommend oes sliders). If you have 07-08 and want no cuts, find something closer to the mounting bolt (shoguns, R&Gs, etc.) Hell, you can even no cuts T-Rex for 07-08, just stay away from the triangular bracket.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Higher placement and a longer length makes the bike less likely to flip on the ground since the CG is lower.

They have 1/4" steel brackets that bolt onto the frame so if you do crash you can order new pucks or the aluminum shaft and replace in 2 minutes. No cutting and no chance of damaging your engine bolt either.
Wrong, longer length will make it more likely to flip the bike and give more leverage to damage the mount.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Wrong, longer length will make it more likely to flip the bike and give more leverage to damage the mount.
NO it does not make it more likely to flip the bike, think about it.

YES I understand the principles of leverage and there is more leverage due to the length but the bracket/sliders are strong enough that it doesn't matter.

I am speaking out of personal experience with these and other sliders. A lot of people just accept their bike getting trashed and think that their frame sliders just protect it from total loss. If you track and don't change plastics out from the street these sliders are great because they will save the whole bike.

I have had one crash at 140mph, one at 80-90mph, and others at lower speed on the track. I don't know if these would stand up to a 140mph crash, but the chances of the bike not flipping or hitting anything at that speed is so remote I don't really care. My bike was totaled in that crash.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts

YES I understand the principles of leverage and there is more leverage due to the length but the bracket/sliders are strong enough that it doesn't matter.

I am speaking out of personal experience with these and other sliders. A lot of people just accept their bike getting trashed and think that their frame sliders just protect it from total loss. If you track and don't change plastics out from the street these sliders are great because they will save the whole bike.

I have had one crash at 140mph, one at 80-90mph, and others at lower speed on the track. I don't know if these would stand up to a 140mph crash, but the chances of the bike not flipping or hitting anything at that speed is so remote I don't really care. My bike was totaled in that crash.
longer sliders means that there is more chance for the thing to catch on something, and when it does 1 of 3 things is going to happen ...

its going to bend the thing out of the way acting as if nothing was there

its going to bend the mount point into oblivion (good bye frame)

or

its going to hold firm and the bike is now going to have something stopping abruptly on the ground, causing it to most likely start flipping tumbling or other wise not nicely sliding.

·
Registered
755 Posts
longer sliders means that there is more chance for the thing to catch on something, and when it does 1 of 3 things is going to happen ...

its going to bend the thing out of the way acting as if nothing was there

its going to bend the mount point into oblivion (good bye frame)

or

its going to hold firm and the bike is now going to have something stopping abruptly on the ground, causing it to most likely start flipping tumbling or other wise not nicely sliding.
BINGO!!! Lower profile sliders are best for... slides.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Tenjin got it right exactly. That's why I run with out sliders. Better to let it slide than risk it catching on something and flip. The catching part is what will make it flip. I've went down plenty of times at the track, and have damaged a mount because of a slider. Luckily the frame was safe.

Which one would you rather wreck. Your plastics or your frame? nuff said..

·
Registered
837 Posts

:+1: to what everyone above just said, plus they look absolutely ridiculous

1 - 14 of 14 Posts