Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have a 2006 CBR600RR with 16.8xx miles on it. Payoff on it is 4200ish. A dealer in my area is having an open house in which any new street bike purchased on that day gets free tires for life. Details...

1. You have to pay msrp.
2. 3 to 5k miles per tire.
3. OEM tires which currently I think are Dunlop qualifiers and BT015's.
4. This is only at this dealer, can't go cross country and expect to get tires.
5. Must pay labor for having them put on.

I tend to put a lot of miles on my CBR, none of which is commuting. One of my main expenses is tires. I had been running the PP2ct's and just recently switched to PProad2's. Pretty much been full michelin the whole time I have had my CBR. So my dilemma here is...

1. Trade in my BABY??? NOOOOOOOO!
2. How good are the OEM tires? I ran my original dunlops out to 3200 miles and they stuck pretty good but I was a green rider as well, so who knows how they do at a faster pace. Can I get some reviews of the two OEM tires and how you liked them?
3. Going from 4200 payoff back up to 8k or so payoff.

Mostly it comes down to how good the tires are. I mean really, figure 400 a set, and roughly 200 a rear is what I have been paying every 4k miles or so. So figure 8000 miles I've done 1 rear and a full set so 600 bux times two and there's 1200 bux. Oh and also going up 2 years into the Bike of the year.

Thoughts? How do you like the OEM tires? I really wish they would deal me out some BT016's.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My08 came with Dunlop Sportmax qualifiers. There not bad and get the job done. But if your looking for a tire you can get down and boogy on it this isnt your tire. My friend has BT015's on his bike and they stick a bit better. I have 4700 miles on my bike and prolly another 2k miles left on the tire and im a pretty agressive rider. All in all i hate my Dunlops and cant wait to get my michelins. Hope this helps. Latr

·
Registered
802 Posts
That sounds like a good deal on the surface, but I dont think it will pan out very well in the long run.

I would definately want -other than factory tires and what are they going to charge for labor? And what about 1 month wait appointments and if you move, etc. etc.
I dont like those kinds of deals.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't think it's how much you have done, so much as how much you will do.

If you'd have gotten that deal with you current bike, you'd have saved $2k by now, assuming that you've changed at the 3000 mi mark every time, and that my math is correct (3K miles X 5 tire changes = 15K Miles, 5 Tire changes @ $400 each is $2K right?) you also have to take into account the mounting and balancing costs and I'm not sure what they charge, so yeah.

it sounds like a good deal, but

1. are you going to be sticking around the area for a few years?
2. Is that guy going to go out of business in 6 months?

Honestly, it sounds a bit gimmicky, but if one of your main costs associated with a bike is tires and you're looking to move up anyways, I'd say go for it!

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I think it's not worth it because of the cost of labor... Dealers charge to much for putting them on!

But the qualifiers are a great tire! So far on my 07 I've turned my fastest lap time on them.

·
Registered
650 Posts
That sounds like a good deal on the surface, but I dont think it will pan out very well in the long run.

I would definately want -other than factory tires and what are they going to charge for labor? And what about 1 month wait appointments and if you move, etc. etc.
I dont like those kinds of deals.
^^^ Bingo. That's where these guys are going to clean up on you and make back the money they "lose" from giving you "free" tires.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hrm, Awesome thanks for the input. Not moving anytime soon and the dealership is the oldest Honda dealership in the state. So no worries there, I also have known my salesman for as long as I've owned my 06.

I think it would be a good deal but still leery about the tire quality. Most of what I ride are the twisty bits in AR, having a crap tire, well that would just suck, I'm going to talk to my guy, if they can do PP2ct's I'm sold. If not eh I'm probably going to say nah, do my 16k mile service and keep on going.

The deal itself isn't really fishy as I've hung out and purchased things from this dealer for years. Still on the fence. Thanks for the input thus far.

edit: Tire change would probably be 30 to 40, finding out if that's per set or per tire.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you owe...

..$4200.00 on an '06 with 16,000 miles, you need to get busy paying that one off before you think about a newer one. If you trade, you will be rolling negative equity into the new one. You are already screwed if it get's stolen or wrecked, (will be bikeless and still owe money).

Don't do it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trade in on good condition is 4600ish. Figured that would pay off. I run full coverage as well.

Yeah definitely leaning towards saying no, was thinking paying this one off and getting an XR650R next year. Doing this would hose those plans.

Ung.

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
Stick with your bike bro

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can get a nice dual sport or trail bike for relatively cheap. They all don't have to be brand new ya know!
Oh yeah I plan on buying used and already set up. Just can't do two bike payments. Buy one, get another. :five:

Thanks for the input, I'll be sticking with Bess, my 06 I believe.

We've done so much together! :toothy4:

·
Administrator
51,144 Posts
Awesome picture man

·
Registered
129 Posts
Stick with your bike, it's a good deal, but not a great deal, nobody needs to pay MSRP and if your to the point where you can tell the difference between tires then the OEMs arn't going to cut it for you.

They know that most people that are going to buy this bike will go threw 2 sets of tires every 3 years tops.

The person that this would be best for is someone who daily drives there bike round trip 50+ miles a day and takes it on a couple cross country trips a year.

I'm sure there going to push those tires to the limit and say you have a couple hundred more miles come back next week, then there going to say it again, then there only going to change the rear and say come back in 2 more weeks for the front.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a big pain in the A55, and there counting on the, "while your here" you need new brakes, you need your oil changed, you need your flux capacitor replaced.

I say keep the bike, 06's are really nice.

D

·
0 Posts
You can only get new tires every 3000-5000 miles? I think this shop is trying to pull some BS just to get more tires and pass them off as new.

·
The Asian Persuasion
28,564 Posts
..$4200.00 on an '06 with 16,000 miles, you need to get busy paying that one off before you think about a newer one. If you trade, you will be rolling negative equity into the new one. You are already screwed if it get's stolen or wrecked, (will be bikeless and still owe money).

Don't do it.
Well said.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
that deal sux. OEM tires suck ballz. keep your bike- it's WATERPROOF! :laughing1

1 - 20 of 37 Posts