Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In PA they put oil on some of the roads then cover them with stone. The fockers usually have signs up though. So I enter this tricky section unknowingly at about 50 and have about 140' to slow down for the next turn. After several rear tire lock ups and maybe 1 or 2 in the front I saved it. I can still hear those stones bouncing off my '06. Damn!!

Is this only in PA? What is the exact purpose of this? Did anyone else take their RR off roadin'?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
is it like this?

Was such a nice road to run too...:sad3:

If it's not, I think it will look like that in about 10 months.
The feedback from the tires feel so unstable on it,
like riding on those steel grates on bridges.
When it's really hot, the rocks get picked up by the front tire
and it comes up thru the forks and smacks you in the neck/helmet.
SUCKS BIG TIME!
I think it's the new method for filling in pot holes/road imperfections,
rather than using that sticky tar to fill in
and then have a slippery when wet surface.

·
Registered
639 Posts
They do it before the lay new asphalt down. The asphalt gets soft when you put oil on it, so it adheres better to the surface below. The rocks are fragments of old pavement, cuz they use a grinder type machine to remove the old pavement.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Around here they use it instead of new asphalt. The tar fills in the cracks and crevices to keep water out and the stones keep the tar from pulling up. Unfortunately it is horrible for traction on bikes and throws a lot of **** up. Especially with these soft tires we tend to run

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's called a chip-seal, which is a type of pavement managment. It's cheaper than re-paving with asphalt, and it helps to extend the life of the road by sealing cracks and providing skid resistance (to vehicles). It takes a while for the rock chips to set up in the tar, and unfortunately it wasn't designed for motorcycles.

By the way, this is my first post on here. I was planning on purchasing a 600rr last year until I found out they were going to be re-designed next year. I ride a Ducati Monster, and I absolutely love it. I just want to add a little variety to the garage.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Yup. They do that here too. Last summer they did it to one of the main roads in and out of my neighborhood two weeks after I got my RR. I was pissed. Made it so I had to take the long way in and out till the gravel got dug in.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Yep, I've had a good scare on that stuff too. Luckily it was on a straight section of road. I came over a hump in the road and had about 50 feet to bring it down from 80 mph. I slowed the bike to about 45 before i hit it and then just let the compressions slow me the rest of the way once in the ****. A little wiggly but I survived it. It's actually pretty grippy once it sets up and the excess stone gets brushed off, but when they just did it, look out. No sign on that road either.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Around here they have those huge trucks with a big nozzle out front that sprays that asphalt, tar, rock crap into large cracks and smaller potholes. Stuff gets everywhere. They never bother posting warnings either and i've come around corners a few times to run across all the loose crap left over. When you run across some fresh stuff it flings it all over the bike and it sticks to everything. Drives me nuts. Those grinding machines that strip the old pavement down do a number too. They leave ruts lengthwise and it makes the bike wander all over the place. Can be a little disconcerting if you aren't used to it. If you are going slow enough it makes you look like a 5 year old learning to ride a two wheeler without training wheels for the first time. Wobble wobble wobble.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ya they used to do that around where I live alot too. Now they just resurface the roads with new asphalt. Probably some environmental problem with spraying liquid tar all over the place. Actually I heard thats how they made paved roads in the old days, just kept sprayign the tar, laying stone, more tar, more stone etc till a thick coating was built up. Now of course, they mix the tar and stone at a plant and truck it in to be spread and rolled out on a regular asphalt road. Here in NY they have this stuff called SuperPave that's actually porous, the water runs down thru it instead of laying on top of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone have any idea how long the Chip seal process takes to setup. They did this to my neighborhood. Its about a mile from my driveway out to main road. I took the bike out on it once and its thrown all kinds of pebbles up in the rear of the bike...Really dont think it could be good. Just wanted to know how long i have to wait before it'll setup good enough to not be a problem...

And does anyone know what goverment level i should contact to complain...i mean state, city, county??? Who knows damn worthless DOT.

K

·
0 Posts
toaddixon said:
Anyone have any idea how long the Chip seal process takes to setup. They did this to my neighborhood. Its about a mile from my driveway out to main road. I took the bike out on it once and its thrown all kinds of pebbles up in the rear of the bike...Really dont think it could be good. Just wanted to know how long i have to wait before it'll setup good enough to not be a problem...

And does anyone know what goverment level i should contact to complain...i mean state, city, county??? Who knows damn worthless DOT.
Around here, the chip seal takes around a month to clean up to the point i'd drive my car over it. I hate it. I complain every time those cheap fukkers at city hall do it. Choice words were had with the city planning commission. But they don't care. They never do. They just take your complaint and toss it in the shredder and move on. It wouldn't be so bad if they actually did the whole job instead of just tossing the tar out on the road, and laying down the chips and leaving. If they would close the road down for a day, take a friggin roller to it and crush it down and make sure it sets quickly i wouldn't complain, but they don't. Same goes for tar as crack sealer. The workers do a shoddy job and it looks like hell, not to mention it's dangerous to motorcyclists when fresh as it sticks to the rubber and makes it slide around well after you pass the covered lines. I nearly laid it down over some fresh stuff when I started out riding motorcycle, knowing little about real world application.

If they did a good job, I wouldn't care but they never do.

Contact the owner of the road. If it's a state highway, contact the
State Highway commission. If it's a city street, contact city hall and ask to speak with the individual who is responsible for city road maintenance.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ya that S*it bites.......

I ran through some a week or so ago when it was blistering hot here in Pa. also, Im still removing the tar off my RR.......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for input. I emailed townhall...its crappy little vilage outside bigger city. So doubtful that they will do anything. It seems to have gotten a little more packed down. I spent a couple hours last taking 10 lbs of rocks out of the lower fairings...fun fun. Hopefully it will get packed down soon bc i wanna ride. I may just do it anyways just hate to get on the highway and have a rock get stuck in the chain.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Around here, they are really good about it. They will let it pack down for a week or two and then they run a big rotating brush over it to sweep all of the excess to the side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts