Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Friends "Borrowing" Your Ride

So while on our ride this past weekend, two of the guys with us were swapping bikes to see how the different bikes and brand handled, HP difference, etc.

Although luckily it Didn't happen, we were thinking " what if one of them throws it down. Then What ? "

And we've always heard Friends are Friends until you have to get paid... :)

So WOULD you ever or DO you ever let a buddy borrow your bike.?
How much do you trust them ?

·
Testicular Fortitude
8,952 Posts
No one borrows any of my rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
302 Posts
Only person who touches my bike, is me. Unless my friend has 15k cash in hand anyway haha.

But seriously, too many horror stories of people letting others use their bikes and then the bike gets trashed.

Its a friendship ender that's not necessary

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I did it all the time with my street bikes. Its a judgement call on their character for myself. I've given my '09 with less than 3k miles to a best friend to take around a parking lot to "get the feel" for motorcycles.

After a few "lesssons"; I let him take it out on a 55mph 2 lane road for 15 miles. He came seconds away from dropping it but didn't thankfully. Had he, he would have made it right.

Same scenerio with my brother. He has also taken my bikes out and mine his. We switched up all the time when he had his SV650 and 675.

Friendship means more to me than my bikes. If I think they will hurt themselves on it, I will not let them ride it. (Known a guy for 22 years and would take a bullet for him but will not toss the keys to my bike over to him because he has an invincibile attitude complex.)

I will not ride someone else's bike unless I have the means/protection to replace their bike if something bad were to happen.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i only let people who have money ride it lol.. other then that no.. and its funny when people get mad when i dont let then ride it or drive my car

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I've let a three people.ride when I first got it. But I trusted them. But I will not ride any bodys bike.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
i ride my wife's bike regularly. she never ride mine. i let my two best buds ride both my wife;s bike and mine, one decline the 600rr, with good reason, he now has a broken shoulder coming of his own bike.

note that there is a difference between riding a buddies bike when he is riding with, and borrowing a bike where the owner is not present for the duration of the loan. the first i would in controlle denvironement and for short ride only, as stasted above based on character and ability, the second i wont. never. not in a million years

·
Registered
661 Posts
The guy who taught me how to ride and has a trcked out gsxr750 yea we swap and we agreed along time ago if either of us trashed, the other would borrow till we could fix. But I also agree w the aboves its a personal thing all about who they are

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
me and my riding partner swap bikes on occasion. he's got an 07 R1 so i'm not to worried about it. never been more than 10-15 miles at a time though

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Our little group of three will let each other ride our rides, but there's one simple rule. You don't ride another person's bike unless you are willing to give up yours.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
if you got something worth my bike that i can take from you then fine, if not save up 5 grand like i did and then you can buy one and test drive it like i did. bums

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I think there are two different scenarios. In the first scenmario, you have two guys who ride together all the time. I don't see a problem wth those guys swapping bikes for a few minutes.

In the other scenario you have an a$$hole "friend" with no bike who is always pestering you to let him ride yours. He tells you he's experienced, he'll be careful, etc. The answer there should always be "no." Actually the first time it should be "no." The second time it should be "no. You're not going to ride my bike. Ever. Quit fvcking bugging me about it."

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

In the other scenario you have an a$$hole "friend" with no bike who is always pestering you to let him ride yours. He tells you he's experienced, he'll be careful, etc. The answer there should always be "no." Actually the first time it should be "no." The second time it should be "no. You're not going to ride my bike. Ever. Quit fvcking bugging me about it."

LOL.

Good Point. We assume you have been in situation before.

·
Super Moderator
12,223 Posts
nope, never have or never will lend my bike to a "friend" it will more and likely end badly, and you will prob loose your friendship w him/her. Only person ive ever lent any of my bikes to is my brother (whose been riding for over 20yrs) i took his M109R out while he was on my RR :)

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
Only two people that have ridden my bike, my boss and my best friend. And that's because they didn't ask, I trust them enough to hand them my keys. The only other person that I would loan my bike to is my other homie that let me learn off of his 250.

I also never ask to borrow any of my other friends bike. Just dosent seem right, idk.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Our agreement has always been that if someone drops your bike, you get theirs until they fix yours. (or insurance or buy a new one if it's trashed)

I have no issue letting my friends ride my bike that also ride. Friends that don't ride...don't go near it. I also only let people ride it that I trust would make it right if something were to happen.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If they ride and we're swapping, yeah why not. If they dont ride at all - not a chance.

My bikes insured so its only a phone call away to the insurance company that they can make and pay the deductable for.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Only my brother, but then i dont say yes all the time. Eg. If i washed her, im not gonna let him ride it until i got her dirty lol

1 - 20 of 61 Posts