Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was riding my bike and I heard a old ticking since is wasn't constant I assumed it was a valve and could find a safe place to park which was justnahead well bad idea cause then the noise stopped and the bike dumped oil. I just got it home haven't started t/s yet hoping for some thoughts and ideas? I know it's not good but just looking for somewhere to start

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
What exactly do you mean it "dumped oil" if you mean the bike just lost all of its oil in short order on the ground I would start looking for holes in the engine ...

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Check to make sure you still have a sump plug, then pull the spark plugs and put her in neutral, then take the timing cover off and see if you can crank the engine over with a ratchet - hopefully it hasn't seized...

And it was a VERY good thing that you stopped... the other option was cover your rear tyre in oil and stop the painful way, and run an even higher risk of blowing your motor up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I know it was a good thing I stopped too I am heading out to start the damage assessment but I remembered the oil was on the headers some on the upper part which should mean the blow came from top end right?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yeah I know it was a good thing I stopped too I am heading out to start the damage assessment but I remembered the oil was on the headers some on the upper part which should mean the blow came from top end right?
sounds like it came from the oil filter, did it come loose? is it even there anymore?

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
How did you go mate, just coming from the oil filter as nutcore suggested?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Things didn't go so well on the bright side when I finally got a chance to look at it the t/s was fast. In the brief moments of knock which was loud it punched a hole in my block. So now it either part out or replacement engine

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
That's not cool... I would go for the new engine mate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was riding a little hard I only crested 11k once and boom but this was a track bike for years

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Curious anyone ever try and repair a crankcase? Now i understand if i had the chunk that came off i would be better however this isn't the option. Anyone ever try doing a repair like this where I have to create the part?

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Curious anyone ever try and repair a crankcase? Now i understand if i had the chunk that came off i would be better however this isn't the option. Anyone ever try doing a repair like this where I have to create the part?
You would have a hard time doing that and maintaining the alignment of all your parts... the heat associated with welding the case will more than likely distort it enough to cause more problems later on down the track.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea i agree just thinking i guess i have found an engine and most likely will be buying it though it is off an 06 so like everyone else I will have the classic questions about what do i nee to swap out

1 - 16 of 16 Posts