Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already introduced myself in the new members forum, but want to say hello again! I am a Yamaha guy that wants to venture out and try something new, which is why I'm here. I want to get more insight about the 05+ rr.

I've owned 2 R6 (2000 and 2004) and love both of them and feel very comfortable with them.

How will the transition be? For those of you who have owned/ridden an R6 what would you say the differences are?

What were the changes from the 03-04 RR's to the 05-06 RR's? I've sat on both and the 03 seems very narrow and short, which was something I don't feel comfortable with. I did get a chance to sit on a 05-06 and it was more comparable to the R6 because it was a bit wider then the 03, is this correct?

I will mostly be using the bike for canyon runs and track days.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to Honda MC's, so help me out!

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
the 05/06 recieved some changes from previous years:

- inverted forks
- lost some weight
- gained more midrange
- minor cosmetic differences too

r6 is a great bike and I love how the newer ones look

·
Registered
936 Posts
Not sure if this will be worth anything but here goes

Brothers got the 08 r6 and it's got the power but only at the top...the very top. You can't lug this monster around town like the rr. The seat on the r6 is better ( but who's isn't) The rr feels more stable in the corners than the r6 - I feel like I'm riding a mt. bike on the R6. All in all I think the R6 belongs at the track and the RR on Both!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I do agree that the 06+ r6 is much more aggressive with riding position. Another reason why the 06+ R6 won't work for me is because the tank is too wide, it feels like the 02-03 gixxers tank and I am not comfortable on it.

Did the 05-06 have any changes from the 03-04. I've sat on both and it seems as if the 05 has gotten wider.

I'll continue to do a search on anything I can find, but please add your knowledge on this post.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
yamaha's suck. they look like **** and they're impossible to work on.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yamaha's suck. they look like **** and they're impossible to work on.

:icon_lol: Although, I don't agree with you one that one, I will respect your opinion haha.

Going through some posts, I've noticed that the seat tends to be an issue on the 05-06, do I have to maintain an iron butt before I get to really enjoy the bike?

Also are there any known issues that the 05 has? I've been researching and noticed that the 03-04 had fuel cell problems, has 05-06 corrected this yet?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Going through some posts, I've noticed that the seat tends to be an issue on the 05-06, do I have to maintain an iron butt before I get to really enjoy the bike?
Nah, Its not amazingly bad or anything, but it could be better...

If I had to guess I'd be hurting if I took it on a really long highway ride, only place I really noticed it was when I rode it 30 miles to work (right leg fell asleep)... in the twisties I'm off the seat enough for it not to matter. However, I'm planning on replacing mine with a Corbin seat... did wonders on my F4i for commuting. I'm also skinny as hell, which means lack of padding does not play well. ymmv.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
alright so here is what i have to offer on this topic.

i currently ride and own a 2008 cbr600rr

my buddy just got a 2006 r6

i have put just about 3000 miles on mine and love it to death, from the first time i hopped on it i was so comfy it felt just like riding my dirt bike (a crf250r) just with more weight and power. it dips into corners with ease and has so much usable power around town or haulin down the back straights there is power every where. all this to me makes this a very easy, user friendly bike especially for a street and not full time track bike.

my buddy got his used r6 and has never had a sport bike before. so he wanted me to take it for a spin around my block to see how it felt compared to mine and make sure i didnt notice anything wierd or any problems with it. so i through my lid on through a leg over start it off and go down my hill. as soon as i go to take the left hand turn at the bottom i felt very awkward and the bike felt it didnt want to lean over at all into the corner. i continued up the hill next to mine and started trying to get on it to see what the power was like compared to mine. but to my suprise it felt like there was nothing. i was left waiting for something to happen. now it was accelerating but not near as fast as my bike would through the low rpm's and into the high's. the r6 engine felt like it had to be screaming to feel any power at all really. i continued through some turns and stops around my block and the whole time around every corner i kept feeling like the bike really wanted me to hang off the side. now i was in a neighborhood so i wasnt going to fast but even then it felt like i had to slide my butt over a little and shift my weight a lot more. this bike feels like it wants the track a lot more. it wants to be hung off the side and screaming.

thats just my opinion though. if you can go ride a cbr. i feel the cbr is much much more userfriendly and has way more usable power for street riding.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If your going to be using the RR for canyons and trackdays you will instantley love it. I had an 03 R6 and just recently switched to the 05 RR, so the exact transition you are thinking of. My only complaints with the RR are that its heavier, and shorter. I feel just a bit more cramped. And even though its heavier the power is there to move that wieght. And the inverted forks make suck a huge difference. The bike just dips into corners and feels so much more planted. And just so you know it is much easier to wheelie as well ;)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
the 03 r6 is only 5lbs lighter than the 05 rr...I doubt its THAT noticeable. So it must be WHERE the weight is exactly.

Weight of the bike (any bike) can always be dropped with a full aftermarket exhaust...you'll lose around ~15lbs with one

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
:icon_lol: Although, I don't agree with you one that one, I will respect your opinion haha.

Also are there any known issues that the 05 has? I've been researching and noticed that the 03-04 had fuel cell problems, has 05-06 corrected this yet?

you can always get it re-upholstered like i did. makes it A LOT more comfy- and if you use the right material, you can still retain the "feel" you want for the track. i tried my friend's '05 with a corbin seat and I didn't really like it. it makes the seat really wide and it has pronounced lips on the side that dig into your guch (the area between your a$$hole and your balls) which is really annoying when you're trying to get off the bike for cornering. that said, if you never really get off the bike and do a lot of commuting- it's GREAT! (the corbin)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
regardless of your taste in bikes. I am glad to see that you are at least giving it a try with other bikes. Most people, not all, but most have only ridden a yamaha once or a kawi once and they hate it. At least you are trying all angles.

Welcome to the RR family.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts