Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my 08 600rr and Ive noticed that my front brake pads are putting kind of a lot of friction on the calipers when spinning and this is causing me to get really low mpg (like 60 miles a tank) and I think the bike is not as fast. I put it on the stand and It only gets about one turn with a hard spin and looks like there is a lot of friction. The pads look great and the bike only has 8K miles. No issues braking or anything like that it is very smooth and strong, and the rotors arent warped. Ive been told something like having to back out the piston out of the caliper and reset it but I don't really know exactly what to do and I cant seem to find any tutorials. I can also hear the pads dragging on the rotor pretty loudly when rolling the bike. No leaks or sweating in the fork seals just throwing that out there.

Does anyone have an idea on what could be causing this and maybe how to fix? Id appreciate it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Some friction between rotors and pads is normal, but 60 miles a tank is extremely low for street riding. ****, that's kind of low even at the track. Backing the pistons out and "resetting" them is easy. Look on YouTube for a video (Partzilla has a video specifically for the 2008 CBR600rr) on front brake pad replacement, and you can see the process.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When you rode the bike, did you take it up to a decent speed and then pull and hold the clutch to see if it was in fact the brakes that was slowing your bike down?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you rode the bike, did you take it up to a decent speed and then pull and hold the clutch to see if it was in fact the brakes that was slowing your bike down?
When getting up to a decent speed, pulled the clutch in, and its not really bad but it does feel like im slightly being slowed down. I do hear the sound of the pads dragging on the rotors when rolling the bike though, and it only gets one spin with a hard push on the front stand.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When getting up to a decent speed, pulled the clutch in, and its not really bad but it does feel like im slightly being slowed down. I do hear the sound of the pads dragging on the rotors when rolling the bike though, and it only gets one spin with a hard push on the front stand.
Resetting the pistons is the easiest (and cheapest) first step. Give it a shot and see what the result is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently got my 08 600rr and Ive noticed that my front brake pads are putting kind of a lot of friction on the calipers when spinning and this is causing me to get really low mpg (like 60 miles a tank) and I think the bike is not as fast. I put it on the stand and It only gets about one turn with a hard spin and looks like there is a lot of friction. The pads look great and the bike only has 8K miles. No issues braking or anything like that it is very smooth and strong, and the rotors arent warped. Ive been told something like having to back out the piston out of the caliper and reset it but I don't really know exactly what to do and I cant seem to find any tutorials. I can also hear the pads dragging on the rotor pretty loudly when rolling the bike. No leaks or sweating in the fork seals just throwing that out there.

Does anyone have an idea on what could be causing this and maybe how to fix? Id appreciate it.
I’ve done this work while replacing the pads and rotors front and back, on my o3, keep it simple, bleed the breaks with fresh, correct brake fluid and spray the breaks using proper brake caliper cleaner, and remember, if you decide to remove the calipers, the caliper bolts stretch and they need replacing, owning both the OEM shop manual and the Klymer manual for your bike is always a good idea

1 - 9 of 9 Posts