Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is how it happened. Ive had the bike for 3 months now, 8300+ miles, ride daily. Last Tue. I stoped at 3 stop signs before the brakes went out. I made a left turn and accel. thru 1 and 2 gear approching a 90 degree right hand corner. My speed was approx. 45/50 and the corner speed is about 15/20mph. Before I got to the corner, I pulled the front brake and it came all the way to the bar. It came to the bar at least 2 more times before I locked the rear up and tried to make the turn. Well, I didn't make the turn and went thu the ditch, hit some rocks and went down in a field. I only had a scratch on my leg, thank God, but the bike has alot of damage on both sides.
I finally got it to the dealer where i purchesed the bike and they said they would take a look at it. They did this with me there and said yes you deff. don't have any brakes. So I left it there and went to work. Then Honda gives me a call and says we cant fix this because your brakes went out due to a bent rotor.BS!!! The rotor got bent in the crash. But they say that is the only thing that can cause a brake failure is a bent rotor. You cant tell me that somewhere between the lever and the pads nothing else can go wrong. The bike has only been serviced at the dealer, could there have been debris in the line or air in the line? Coulnt this cuase a failure to happen? Honda insist that the rotor was the cuase, but im not riding that bike with just a new rotor because I know for a fact it didn't cause the failure, next time I might not be so lucky if they decide to fail agian. "here you go have a rotor, hope you dont have to make a sudden stop." WTF> Is Honda going to pay for my sons college, I dont think so.
Well thats whats going on, im still waitting to here back from the DM at Honda. I'll be sure to update!!! I hope everything works out but it looks like im going to need a lawyer or somemore help of some kind. Please help with any sugg. or comm. Any one else had any front brake trouble?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sorry to hear about the brake failure. That really stinks. Must have been a horrible feeling knowing you have no brake!

Thanks for letting us know about your experience! I will store this info into my memory banks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
yikes,

I'm not understanding how a bent rotor would result in complete front brake failure, all of a sudden :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
947 Posts
A bent rotor will definitely cause your problem. I dropped my bike while loading it into my truck for a track day. I decided to take the bike for a quick rip through the neighborhood to check everything out and I'm very glad I did. With a bent rotor it is possible for your brakes to work intermittently. The first two stops I made were fine, but the third stop I had no front braking at all. I tried everything else first as I couldn't tell the rotor had damage. I bled the brakes without success and was ready to give up, but decided I really couldn't miss the track day so I switched out rotors with my extra wheel set and two track days later, I'm still without any brake problems. Sorry for the bad news but it is likely that a bent rotor was your problem.

·
Registered
351 Posts
parapuke said:
A bent rotor will definitely cause your problem. I dropped my bike while loading it into my truck for a track day. I decided to take the bike for a quick rip through the neighborhood to check everything out and I'm very glad I did. With a bent rotor it is possible for your brakes to work intermittently. The first two stops I made were fine, but the third stop I had no front braking at all. I tried everything else first as I couldn't tell the rotor had damage. I bled the brakes without success and was ready to give up, but decided I really couldn't miss the track day so I switched out rotors with my extra wheel set and two track days later, I'm still without any brake problems. Sorry for the bad news but it is likely that a bent rotor was your problem.
i believe, it just seems weird that it'll do that

·
Registered
947 Posts
Rusty said:
parapuke said:
i believe, it just seems weird that it'll do that
Trust me I wouldn't make this crap up. Rotors are expensive if you haven't priced them and I needed to tried my spares before purchasing a replacement for the bent one. That is the only variable I changed and went from brake problems to no brake problems just by switching out the rotor on the dropped side.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The bent rotor pushs the pads out away from the rotor. So when you grab the brakes the pads are to far away from the rotors to grab. Same thing happens in a tankslapper. The pads get pushed out so you have to pump up the brakes.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Ashton, I know how the dealership works, they will give you that kind of BS, because they figured a way out. They don't want to spend their money if they think they can get away with it, without ruining their reputation. It seems to me that the odds are on their side, unless you had some proof. Sorry to say, but you might not get anything :( . I would strongly suggest that you talk to a lawyer, he will defiantly come up with something.

·
Registered
351 Posts
cosp600rr said:
The bent rotor pushs the pads out away from the rotor. So when you grab the brakes the pads are to far away from the rotors to grab. Same thing happens in a tankslapper. The pads get pushed out so you have to pump up the brakes.

I've heard about the tank slapper and loss of the brakes, just never heard of the kind of thing happening with bent rotors, or even envisioned it happening, but I think it does make sense now as to why it would be an intermitent problem, most likely depending on how fast ur actually going and how exactly the rotors are bent.

parapuke, as I said - i believe :D was just looking for the explanation as to why it was like that.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Ok, so define BENT. I have 10100 miles on mine and during lighter braking at slower speeds I can feel pulsating going on with the front brakes. So how much of BENT are we talking about here? This has been going on for 3,000 miles now and I assumed since it was so early (in terms on bike life) that they were just not made EXACTLY straight. Under heavy braking, I don't notice it at all.

X

·
Registered
405 Posts
xphile said:
Ok, so define BENT. I have 10100 miles on mine and during lighter braking at slower speeds I can feel pulsating going on with the front brakes. So how much of BENT are we talking about here? This has been going on for 3,000 miles now and I assumed since it was so early (in terms on bike life) that they were just not made EXACTLY straight. Under heavy braking, I don't notice it at all.

X
Unless you somehow damaged the rotors during a drop that would be a sign of warped rotors. Just like in a car where you can feel the pulsating in the steering wheel under braking. Most likely it will only get worse, and you should probably replace those along with the pads soon.

I still don't understand how a bent rotor is going to cause complete loss of brakes. Unless there was some sort of hydraulic failure it doesn't make sense to me that you would lose 100% of your braking. Even if you had a pretty bad bend in the rotor the pads are still going to grab onto it when the pistons expand. Obviously the braking would not be smooth due to the fubar'd rotor, but there would still be braking.

·
Registered
484 Posts
there's no way a single bent rotor is going to cause a complete brake failure. guys, you have two discs in front. unless you had two fubard discs, you should still have at least some braking. that dealer is full of crap.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I agree that something is amiss here. Braking systems are not all that complicated so, I too, have trouble seeing how this can happen from a rotor unless it's something severe, in which case, the rider would most likely have noticed. I can see the master cylinder being the culprit real easy though, maybe it failed under pressure from being defective????

X

·
Registered
405 Posts
xphile said:
I agree that something is amiss here. Braking systems are not all that complicated so, I too, have trouble seeing how this can happen from a rotor unless it's something severe, in which case, the rider would most likely have noticed. I can see the master cylinder being the culprit real easy though, maybe it failed under pressure from being defective????

X
Could be, could also be air in the lines like stated above. Ashton, did you ever open up the brake lines on your bike?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
ashton, if the going theory is that the rotors are bent, can you think of anything that could have bent them? (honestly)
I'm going to look into the mastercylinder theory, on cars, when the mastercylinder starts to go out, it doesn't all of a sudden loose all pressure, it gradually dissappears over applies pressure. Unless it has been going bad for a while and was ignored, then it could cause sudden loss of pressure.
We have to really get all the honest facts from the rider, before one could effectively trouble-shoot this. CBRbob, you out there?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Ashton, I know how the dealership works, they will give you that kind of BS, because they figured a way out. They don't want to spend their money if they think they can get away with it, without ruining their reputation
I would, call American Honda directly and take it up with them..If they don't comply, threaten to call the NHTSA (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/) . Also, you can call them at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT to see if there have been prior complaints regarding this safety issue.

Doing all this will be a long uphill battle. But, if you are sure that your brakes failed, then please do complain to the appropriate authorities, so that Honda will fix the problem.

Too bad this had to happen. Good luck..

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
powerranger said:
ashton, if the going theory is that the rotors are bent, can you think of anything that could have bent them? (honestly)
I'm going to look into the mastercylinder theory, on cars, when the mastercylinder starts to go out, it doesn't all of a sudden loose all pressure, it gradually dissappears over applies pressure. Unless it has been going bad for a while and was ignored, then it could cause sudden loss of pressure.
We have to really get all the honest facts from the rider, before one could effectively trouble-shoot this. CBRbob, you out there?
Ashton, I agree with powerranger on this one. This sounds like a master cylinder failure of the worst kind. Sudden and without warning. Has any work been done to the bike. Any dealer service?

Things to do:
1) GET A LAWYER!!
2) GET YOUR BIKE FROM THE DEALER. No matter what shape this bike is in or how many pieces it's in.
3) Take pictures of everything. Even things you don't think are important. Go back to the accident site and take pictures there as well. Start at least 100 feet back from the point of impact and take pictures at all angles.
4) Document in writting the date, time, and place of the incident and the date and time of all conversations that have taken place as well as any future conversations.
5) Call American Honda as suggested and report the incident.
6) Don't yell or threaten to sue anyone at this point. When you talk to the dealer or Honda treat them with the utmost respect. If they fail. Take them to court. But don't give them ANY indication that you have a lawyer or plan to sue. At that point the relationship is over and the fight is on! Your better off not letting them know you plan to sue IF you eventually have to. That way they have little time to prepare.

Good luck!

Tim

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
powerranger said:
How many of you check your bike, before you get on?
I look at the tires for deflation and the chain for slack, other than that, brakes are covered going down the driveway. When I do detailed cleaning, which is about every 1 to 2 weeks, I check most things over.

X

1 - 20 of 33 Posts