Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I loosen up the brake pads or spread them apart for more distance? If I spin it freely it only gets about a spin and half and I can tell its putting to much pressure on my rotors when I try and push it.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Moving the brake pads back will not fix it... they have to close back in to stop the bike.

1.5 revs doesn't sound too bad. I was getting one rev after giving it a hard spin. I replaced the master cylinder and calipers. I get 1.5 to 2 revs now. That's normal.

One question... what kind of brake pads are you using?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No idea about the pads. It has a brembo mc and galfer lines. What if it was only one rev? I know it doesn't feel right because I have such a hard time pushing it compared to my other bike (same as this one).

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
It does not sound like there is a problem but I know of a couple remedies you could try to get more spin:

1. Clean your brake caliper pistons. Make sure not to pop them out of the caliper all the way, just enough to spray some brake cleaner around the circumference. (Your calipers should retract a minimal amount when you release your brake lever. Dirt/buildup will cause the pistons to retract less).

2. When you reassemble your front end (wheel and calipers) try to tighten to calipers while holding down the brake lever. The calipers will have a very small amount of movement when attached to the divots. Holding down the handle attempts to center the calipers around the rotors.

I can get maybe 2-3 spins from the front wheel. If you feel that these do not help you, you should check to see if the front rotors have any movement to them. this could cause the rotors to rub a little more than normal on the pads.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I ask about the pads cause my stock pads will let the rotor spin like 5 revs. (this is a stock '07 setup) I had problems with my '06 and needed it for the track yesterday, so I put my entire '07 brakes on it... MC, lines, calipers, even rotors but used my HH sintered pads off the '06. I got maybe 2 revs but it was better. it felt a lot better riding.

My mc worked fine. My guess on why they would drag too much was the calipers. I did clean the pistons but still the same. Maybe I needed to pop out the pistons and clean them and put nre o-rings in the calipers. I haven't tried that but what else could be sticking in a caliper?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts