Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after low siding on the track on my 05 I bent a rotor. Replaced my rotor and rode the rest of the weekend. Front suspension and braking action felt good but the front axle was a bit tight to get in and the brakes were a bit tight on the rotors. Forks passed a visual roll test for straightness but haven't tried anything more. Any idea what it could be?? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Your wheel and axle are probably bent. Also make sure your wheel is on the right way, they are directional.

An impact hard enough to bend a steel rotor is hard enough to bend an aluminum rim and likely hard enough to jar your axle a bit.

Your absolute best bet is to take your wheel off, dismount the tire, remove rotors and put it on a truing (balancing) stand and spin it with a gauge on the lip.

Next you can mount your rotors on a known straight rim and do the same thing but this time put the gauge on the rotor.

And the use v-blocks to spin your axle.

For the tools you'll end up paying about $100 most expensive will be your gauge.

If all those components are straight then you will need to take your forks off and disassemble them.

Your fork tube being straight doesn't mean very much if your leg is bent. There's a few mm of play on the inside of the tube. If your fork legs are bent it will cause suspension and alignment issues at your front wheel.

Only way to test those is to use the same v-blocks you used for the axle and roll the fork leg with the gauge on the center and the v-blocks on each end.

While you're at it, check your shim stacks and change your oil/fork seals. Don't ever reuse them.

Reactions: Parraj4

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a whole new wheel and rotor set. Forks are currently off getting checked! And you think I could have bent the axle itself?? Thank you for the help! Much appreciated

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
It's very possible. Especially if our wheel hub was bent.

Worth the 5 minutes it takes to check.

·
BOTM Winner 07/14
996 Posts
Real easy fork alignment test I do every time I change the front tire. With the wheel off and bike on a front pin stand, not fork stand, I slip the axle all the way through and spin it in my fingers. It should spin freely. If it doesn't put some pressure on the end of one fork or the other up and down, and back and forth. If the axle spin improves when you move them the forks are not perfectly aligned or one may be bent. I also use this test to make sure the forks are the same length through the tripples at full extension.

It's is possible for them to both be bent exactly the same amount and therefore still pass the axle spin test for alignment, but not probable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts