Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed when I replaced my front tire, there was a little chunk missing (about 1/4" to 1/2") around the outside ring of the floating side (left side) grease seal lip. Wasn't really concerned about it at the time, but is this a long term issue? Should I replace it?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replace it. Right now your bearing is exposed. Dirt will find its way in there and destroy it.
Figured. Is it easy to remove and replace while leaving the bearings in tact? Do I need a bearing driver kit to press the new seals?

BTW, these bearings are sealed, so what is the purpose of the grease seal that sits on top?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,814 Posts
The bearings are indeed sealed. So they won't die just from losing a dust seal. Most aftermarket wheels don't even have dust seals on them.

I'd replace it anyway as you regularly talk about neglecting your bike, so the poor thing needs all the help it can get.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bearings are indeed sealed. So they won't die just from losing a dust seal. Most aftermarket wheels don't even have dust seals on them.

I'd replace it anyway as you regularly talk about neglecting your bike, so the poor thing needs all the help it can get.
Thanks Wibbly. I thought it would be ok, which was why I proceeded with the install. It's just I got to thinking about it yesterday, and thought I would ask to be sure.

I'll get some new ones with my next parts order - maybe, lol. She's at 72,000+ miles right now, and the clutch/transmission says they are ready to go to sleep. My valves are starting argue with me, but beyond that she still does what she's told.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts