Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

Over winter my bike was on rear stand. Now I have noticed that one fork is oily and support and "fork holder" (bottom part where fork is attached) is also oily. I went to my dealer and he said, its because of rear stand, because all weight was on front wheel.. is it real possible? so I went to other mechanic he said that I need to replace seal.. and so on... in third place mechanic check fork swinging it .. and said that he "feels" that there is oil in fork. Is it possible to "feel" if there is any oil in fork (not riding, just pushing) ? I mean to feel that there is oil in both forks... by the way... I was riding from one mechanic to other on bike... and to my surprise fork was clean , without oil while riding... 1) there is no more oil :) 2) it is really rear stand .. what do you think?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hello!

Over winter my bike was on rear stand. Now I have noticed that one fork is oily and support and "fork holder" (bottom part where fork is attached) is also oily. I went to my dealer and he said, its because of rear stand, because all weight was on front wheel.. is it real possible? so I went to other mechanic he said that I need to replace seal.. and so on... in third place mechanic check fork swinging it .. and said that he "feels" that there is oil in fork. Is it possible to "feel" if there is any oil in fork (not riding, just pushing) ? I mean to feel that there is oil in both forks... by the way... I was riding from one mechanic to other on bike... and to my surprise fork was clean , without oil while riding... 1) there is no more oil :) 2) it is really rear stand .. what do you think?
HA! HAHAHA!

No. Not the case. That's hilarious he tried to convince you that's why your fork seal needed replacing. But yes, they do need replacing, both of them.

As for can you "feel" oil in the fork? If you're a mechanic, you shouldn't be "feeling" for problems with people's bikes.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
hey im having the same problem as well and yes it is a worn out seal. but my question to you all is A.) how much are seals B.) are they easy to replace? sorry for the moderate thread jack but i figure it pertains to the subject

·
Registered
721 Posts
i love hearing the lines of b/s techs throw out there when they don't know what they are talking about. if you don't know keep your mouth shut or simply tell them you don't know. so much more respectable that way.

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
Seals are about 15 bucks a side. They come with dust covers too. I have an 04, and I can prolly do fork seals in my sleep. But the inverted forks may be a little bit different. Get the service manual and do them yourself. Prolly a 3 hour job if you never done it before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts