Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
Last night I was switching my rotors out and when I was tightening the bolts back down one of them just snapped leaving most of the bolt in the wheel >_< luckly with some easy-outs was able to get it out with minimal scratchage to the wheel :toothy4: Has this happened to anyone esle? Is it time to get new bolts for the front rotors?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hey guys,
Last night I was switching my rotors out and when I was tightening the bolts back down one of them just snapped leaving most of the bolt in the wheel >_< luckly with some easy-outs was able to get it out with minimal scratchage to the wheel :toothy4: Has this happened to anyone esle? Is it time to get new bolts for the front rotors?

Thanks guys

get new hardware and invest in a torque wrench, or rent one from autozone or somethin.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You may have overtorqued the bolt. Using a torque wrench will help.

As far as getting new bolts goes, I wouldn't bother unless you can see threads that are visibly stretched. A bolt like that breaking when tightening is not out of the norm. On a joint like brake discs connected to a wheel, having the bolt as tight as possible without breaking the bolt on tightening is actually beneficial.

If the bolt threads are damaged, replace them. If the wheel threads are damaged run a tap down them. Always add Loctite.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys lol:toothy4: smartie pants me with the torque wrench making a fool of myself.

The day I was switching the rotors I didnt have my shop manual on my so for some reason i thought the lbs. on the bolts were 22lbs when they are actually 13lbs lol opps fixed it and ordered a new bolt lol i felt really stupid lol but learn from your mistakes

Thanks for all the help tho and ideas guys really appreciate it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts