Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i took the chain off my bike cause i was removing the swingarm to get it powdercoated..so once i got the swingarm back on..i started it to warm it up..and the front sprocket was moving in neutral and the mph was goin up when the rpm would go up..so i was wondering what the deal was with that...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
if the sprocket is moving, of course you will have a mph reading... if you have stands and the bike is runnin in neutral, if you rev it, your rear tire will slightly spin.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
it will also turn on a stand if the bike is cold.
the cold oil will cause drag on the clutch plates which will cause them to spin a little.
as the bike gets hotter it will spin less

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
it will also turn on a stand if the bike is cold.
the cold oil will cause drag on the clutch plates which will cause them to spin a little.
as the bike gets hotter it will spin less
Sorry but the clutch and neutral are 2 different things. You're right... cold oil causes more drag but it's in the tranny... not the clutch. The clutch lever is out which means the clutch is not slipping at all.

Even though the bike is in neutral... the gears are close together in the tranny that when you pour oil on them ( which the bike does) the oil between the gears is enough to get them to spin.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
he never actually said whether it is clutch in or out. however you are right.
the front sprocket will spin on a stand whether the clutch is in or out if the oil is cold.

·
Registered
972 Posts
i just discovered this phenomenon last week when i had my bike up on the stands.. scared the hell out of me so i had to call my ex-yamaha r6 buddy. told me it was normal as you all sugguested

1 - 12 of 12 Posts