Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to change my clip ons and don't have a tire stand. I was told I could rig something that will lift the front of the bike up from the ceiling or whatever. Or I could jack the bike up from the oil pan.

Question: Would one of those jacks that Sams Club sells work? I didn't think they would work on a sportbike. Or couldn't I just take a couple of hydraulic jacks put a board between them and jack up the bike from the bottom?

any suggestions on the easiest way to do this?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I changed my clip-ons with no stand at all. Your bottom bolts are still bolted at the lower part of the forks so there's no worry about the forks raising.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
96SNAKE03RR said:
I changed my clip-ons with no stand at all. Your bottom bolts are still bolted at the lower part of the forks so there's no worry about the forks raising.

Here is the info I got on this. Now I'm confused.

Changing the clip ons:
since they sit below the triple, you need to slide the forks out (or take off the top triple), so you gotta have a front stand that jacks the bike up through the bottom triple, or we can ghetto rig it, and either jack the bike up by the oil pan or tie it up through the ceiling to keep the front end off the ground

·
Registered
774 Posts
The best and by far the easiest way is to undo the top triple clamp and then you can take the clip-ons right off. Once you take the middle steering stem bolt off, it will all make sense.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Actually, wouldn't you WANT the weight of the bike on the lower clamp, I mean if you jacked the bike up by the oil pan (which is a big no no) as soon as you pulled the upper clamp off, the forks would drop through the stem housing. Mayby not all the way, but IMHO, I would think it would be best to leave it sitting on the ground, or use a fork stand if you have one. That way you keep constant upward pressure on the whole assembly, and unless you loosen the lower clamps on the forks, it won't move anywhere. Just pull the upper plate and remove your clipons. Just my Noob .02

RRob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts