Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So talked to a local shop about setting up the bike to my weight and was informed that the front springs are too soft and that the only way they could get it to where I need it is to upgrade the front fork springs. Is this true or can I get it atleast clsoe to where I need it to be? I am about 185-190lbs (only looking to do a couple track days) and should probably have closer to .92 springs in front, but would like to save some money right now and can't really find it in the budget to do buy the springs and have a shop install. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but never taken apart the forks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think i read somewhere, that 05-06 springs are only ment for 150-180lb riders, but if i was you i would use the sportrider set up or the ones posted on this site, i used sport riders and i love my bike now. The previous owner had my fornt fully soft and rear fully solid.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been looking around here at some of other people's setups and played around with my suspension based off them. I went with a group yesterday and we hit roads with nothing but twisites and my adjustments felt much better. However, I am still drifting out way too much and I don't know if its from my new rear tire (pilot 2ct) that hasn't fully gotten rid of all the slick, the old front tire which is a bridgestone sportmax (not really meant for carving roads), or some factor with the suspension. Buddy riding behind me said I was drifting out like you see with gp races (thing is I am not trying to do that and I am at much slower speeds) and with bumps the bike was bouncing front to back and back to front. I made the rear and front suspensions stiffer because the kid before had put everything to soft. Im just trying to figure out what factors are causing some of these issues. And I was thinking the front is just too soft with the stock springs. Any more advice or ideas would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you talking about trail braking through the turn? If so I do not trail brake, I simply approach get to the right speed and gear and just go through the turn. I know my lean form is correct, but still getting pushed out.

G

·
The suspension wont push you out in a turn. Too much speed, improper body positioning, or a lack of confidence will push you out in a turn.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thats what I figured, I know my position is fine, however the confidence is probably not as high as it should be and I am learning to judge entry speed still. The thing is some of the other guys are around the same skill level as me and can take them faster than I can, thats why I am questioning whether or not there is another factor other than confidence and speed. On that note, I only ride at my level hence why they are still faster than I am. Also, would a older tire on the front and one not meant to hit turns like my 2ct in the rear push me out?

G

·
No, a lower performance tire wont push you out. It will only grip less and provide less front end feedback. If you want to learn, I suggest going to a track.
How do you know your body position is correct anyway? If confidence is an issue where you're holding back, it will definitely affect body position.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Body position is something I have read up on and looked at alot, especially over the winter months. My last bike was a good learning bike, only difference between the old one and my CBR now is less body movement. I have a buddy who use to race and I have had him out with me riding and helping with body position on the bike and proper leaning techniques. Though I am not saying I am professional in any way ( I have much to learn still ). Yes the track would def be the best to go learn, I am dying to go to my first track day, but with funds and lack of full suit I have to wait till closer to summer or end of summer. I guess when it comes down to it, getting more confidence, proper entry speeds, and lines will probably help me out immensely. I mean, I can't think of any other reasons why some of my other friends can take turns faster without that push I am experiencing and they ride with sh**y form, Im talking hips in the wrong position, head still in towards the center of the bike. I do appreciate all the feedack thank you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
First of all, match your tires up. I'd suggest the new Michelin Power Pures which I'm running on track days and they're pretty damn nice. I also use them for intermediate tires when the track is semi wet.

Second, if you're wondering abt the correct spring go to the Race Tech website. They have a spring rate calculator.

And what Demented said is absolutely true. No offense but you sound like a new rider (under 5 years I'm guessing,) and nothing will improve your riding ability better than a track school. You notice I say school here. I've seen WAY too many riders go out for a track day, get advice from "buddies" with middling experience and approach the day from the complete wrong angle. Get some professional instruction and you'll probably find you may have been close but no where near to hitting the target on your riding facts.

Good luck and... Oh yea, get a matched set of tires will ya? :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Slowstad you hit it right on the nose. Yes I am a newer (not new) rider, and like I said I am no professional and Im sure I could use a good amount of coaching. I plan to do a school later in the summer. I will make sure to match the tires real soon haha. I found the right spring rate to be .92 I believe. Thanks again for your input I greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,793 Posts
get a piece of 0.90 & 0.95 fork springs, that will give you a 0.925 kg/mm spring rate. if you go stiffer than stock you'll need the cartridges reshimmed or revalved to damp the springs properly.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Don't worry about keeping up with people. They may simply have a better feel for the bike at this stage in your riding career. Or they may be riding at the ragged edge of their abilities, which will eventually lead to disaster. Read, study, practice, go to the track.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Jim Moore, I am hoping to do a track day asap and will be upgrading the front tire as well. Hopefully with some practice (at my skill level) with entry speed, lines, and throttle control I should be able to gain confidence and feel the bike better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you talking about trail braking through the turn? If so I do not trail brake, I simply approach get to the right speed and gear and just go through the turn. I know my lean form is correct, but still getting pushed out.

if you r getting pushed out of the turn the your issue is sag either lower the front or raise the rear

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was kind of pleasantly surprised when I found out the stock 07's are 1.000 Kg/mm. Since I go about 220-225 they are very close according to Race Tech's site. Usually these Japanese bikes are way under sprung for us heavier guys.:banger:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts