Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I had the front wheel up on a stand for the first time the other day and noticed it does not roll as freely as the back does. It appears the brake pads are gripping the discs slightly, by the sound it makes. Its not hard to move or anything, but i would imagine it should keep rolling freely for awhile...
I just got a new front tyre and so perhaps the kids at the mechanic shop put it on badly?

Is it normal for the front brakes to grip a little bit?

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Hi
I had the front wheel up on a stand for the first time the other day and noticed it does not roll as freely as the back does. It appears the brake pads are gripping the discs slightly, by the sound it makes. Its not hard to move or anything, but i would imagine it should keep rolling freely for awhile...
I just got a new front tyre and so perhaps the kids at the mechanic shop put it on badly?

Is it normal for the front brakes to grip a little bit?
its normal to hear a slight grinding / jingling type noise from the front brakes

a few rotations from a good spin is generally normal as i recall.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
It's normal to hear your pads scraping the rotor a bit. You should be able to get a couple of rotations from a mild spin.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
i ahve the same problem, but i think my rotor may be * slightly* tweaked, it isn't constant and the sound is loping if that makes sense and i get MAYBE 2 rotations out of a hard spin, any reccomendations?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks for the help. I will see how much rotations i get out of a good spin tomorrow when i put it up on a stand.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
i ahve the same problem, but i think my rotor may be * slightly* tweaked, it isn't constant and the sound is loping if that makes sense and i get MAYBE 2 rotations out of a hard spin, any reccomendations?
If your worried, new rotor.

If you have a dial indicator then make sure it is within 0.3mm or 0.012" if it is then it is within tolerance.

Personally, if I can't feel it in the lever I'm not worried.

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
I'm having this problem as well. A little bit of rubbing is normal, but I struggle to get two rotations from a really hard push.

I'm replacing the rotors and pads anyway. Also going to do a proper clean and refurb on the calipers (I cleaned them at the end of last year but the pistons were only moving slightly more freely). Then, obviously, when I put the front wheel back on I'll grease the axle up properly and torque everything to spec. I haven't had the front wheel off myself yet so there's a possibility that the garage (who put my last front tyre on) has been a bit over exuberant! If doing all of this doesn't fix it then I think I'm doomed!

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
I'm having this problem as well. A little bit of rubbing is normal, but I struggle to get two rotations from a really hard push.

I'm replacing the rotors and pads anyway. Also going to do a proper clean and refurb on the calipers (I cleaned them at the end of last year but the pistons were only moving slightly more freely). Then, obviously, when I put the front wheel back on I'll grease the axle up properly and torque everything to spec. I haven't had the front wheel off myself yet so there's a possibility that the garage (who put my last front tyre on) has been a bit over exuberant! If doing all of this doesn't fix it then I think I'm doomed!
Loosen off all of your bolts on the front wheel, then torque the axle bolt, followed by the right hand pinch bolts, bounce the front end a few times then torque the left pinch bolts. If there is any mis-alignment this will sort it out.

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
Loosen off all of your bolts on the front wheel, then torque the axle bolt, followed by the right hand pinch bolts, bounce the front end a few times then torque the left pinch bolts. If there is any mis-alignment this will sort it out.
Well, this wasn't what I was expecting. Wheel bearings are both completely seized! Neither inner race will turn at all.

Doesn't appear to have caused any other damage. The wheel bearings are still intact. Probably a lucky escape. I wasn't even sure I was going to bother replacing the rotors/pads. If I had decided not to bother then I wouldn't have found this.

At least it will be a relatively cheap fix. Hopefully that will solve my problems for now.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Well, this wasn't what I was expecting. Wheel bearings are both completely seized! Neither inner race will turn at all.

Doesn't appear to have caused any other damage. The wheel bearings are still intact. Probably a lucky escape. I wasn't even sure I was going to bother replacing the rotors/pads. If I had decided not to bother then I wouldn't have found this.

At least it will be a relatively cheap fix. Hopefully that will solve my problems for now.
Wow.... I think you would have noticed when they started howling at you... More lucky find than lucky escape I'd hope! :D
I saw trackfreak complaining about the quality of allballs wheel bearings the other day, so maybe don't go with them...

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Wow.... I think you would have noticed when they started howling at you... More lucky find than lucky escape I'd hope! :D
I saw trackfreak complaining about the quality of allballs wheel bearings the other day, so maybe don't go with them...

your right nico, it killed 2 trackdays for me both within the 2nd or 3rd session....I went back to oem and work fine...or you can go with high performance industrial bearings....

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
Yeah, strange. The last few times I was out on the bike, there weren't any strange noises at all and everything was going fine. I think they've maybe just seized up over the winter somehow. Going to double check all of the rear bearings as well tomorrow, just to make sure everything is ok.

your right nico, it killed 2 trackdays for me both within the 2nd or 3rd session....I went back to oem and work fine...or you can go with high performance industrial bearings....
Thanks guys. I think I'll stick with OEM then.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Thanks guys. I think I'll stick with OEM then.[/QUOTE]

:shakehand....

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
Well, there's no longer a problem with the wheel bearings or front axle. Wheel turns perfectly (no brakes on though).

Decided to overhaul the calipers while I'm at it; just to be on the safe side and make sure everything is perfect for the coming year. Just waiting on the new seals.

OP, did you get your issues resolved, or was everything ok anyway?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts