Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so this is not a new story. i'm sure all of us have gotten bent over and rammed by a po at some point, but i'm writing this to see if anyone has any advice and also because i feel like *itching. i live in a small college town where the cops don't have any "real" crime to worry about and consequently, they get their kicks harrassing the college kids. i'll be the first to admitt that i don't always obey the speed limit. as a matter of fact i try to hang about 5 over just b/c i don't want the red necks in their jacked up trucks anywhere near me (had way too many close calls). whether that's a good or bad choice is your opinion, i would rather go faster to create gaps so i don't get a brush guard in my helmet.

anyways, yesterday my friend and i were riding. we exited a parking lot that was maybe 50 yards from a red light. i turned first and then checked to make sure she had followed. when i saw she was there i accelerated just a bit to reach the speed limit. there were a line of cars at the light so i didn't see any point in shifting into second b/c i would have had to shift right back down to stop and i was only going 40 mph.

next thing i know, the cop i had spotted moments earlier was pulling me over. i was dumbfounded b/c i didn't do anything wrong. anyways, he tells me that he clocked me at 49 in a 35. i'm thinking "there's no way in hell. i saw him there and i'm not stupid" so i asked to see his radar (which made him mad). after a battle of when exactly he'd let me see it, i checked it out. the dip *hit didn't lock in my speed so there was really nothing to see.
at this point it became quite obvious that he was just trying to meet his quota b/c i knew he was wrong. i asked him why he didn't have my speed and he told me he wasn't required to. this was news to me b/c i've always been told the oposite. so i am now upset that he's *ickin me and he procedes to threaten to take me to jail for exhibition of acceleration. so i asked him what the guidelines for such an offense were and his reply was look it up.

long story short, there was an argument in which he told me i didn't know my bike well enough to ride, that i was lying about not shifting into second (b/c apparently he has some sort of xray vision to be able to see my shifting foot from the right side of my bike, yeah he said he "saw" me shift), and that i was trying to "showboat" for my friend (who by the way was right next to me the entire time and wasn't issued a citation or even asked for her license at all).

so to sum it up, i got a speeding ticket when i wasn't speeding. i have gotten speeding tickets that i deserved and wouldn't even try to argue about it. this time, it was pure bs. what really sux is that i don't think i have any proof. it's his word against mine which really sux. if i took it to court, all the judge is going to see is some chick with a sportbike that got caught "speeding."

and that is the story of yesterday. please do not misunderstand, i have respect for authority that does not abuse their position. these are the same cops i reported my bike stolen to (my first bike was stolen bout 1 yr ago) and they didn't even enter it into the system until five months later. these are the same cops that arrested me for not having my id on me while i was sitting on my front porch. needless to say, i've contributed a nice chunk of money to the city college station. FTP! :evil:

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Exhibition of Acceleration is illegal??!! Damn, I thought as long as you don't exceed the speed limit, it doesn't matter how quickly you get there. I'd better be more carefu...., Ahh, F#@K that, How many cops know about that one.

Best bet is pleade not guilty and talk to the DA or assistant that will be present at your hearing. or try to contact them ahead of the hearing. I've gotten off pretty easily that way before, not on a bike though. Luckily I haven't gotten a speeding ticket on the bike before. (Knock on wood)

·
Registered
283 Posts
you can get tickets for jack rabbit starts here in East Lansing, where you gun it off the line... I dunno about all that though man, that's hella shady, fight it.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
ah man, that cop messed up in so many ways it's not even funny... if it was me, i'd fight it. first of all, they HAVE to let you see the radar. that's the law, at least it is in Arkansas. second, he was harasing you and you have a witness. third, ask for the calibration records for that radar unit... odds are you'll leave that court room without having to pay a dime. just to be safe, i'd run all that by a lawer and see what they say.

i almost wish someone would sue a cop for false or misleading information. that way they'd think twice before pulling this bully, gestopo, thugh crap... it seems like the majority of the time the cop has no understanding of what a motorcycle is or is not capibible of...

·
Registered
114 Posts
fight it, you didn't speed. That's the point of the judicial system, the point of the "not guilty" plea is when you're not guilty.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
i dont know about laws against "exhibition of acceleration" but there is "wreckless driving" Wihch pretty much means that they can write you a ticket for just about anything they want. Accelerating rapidly could be considered wreckless driving. Not saying thats what you did though.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
that true... it may fall under wreckless driving, but it's ultimately up to the judge to decide weather or not it's wrekless or not...

a good example is the state, florida i think, that doesn't consider wheelieing illegal... the cop gave a motorcyclist a ticket for wreckless driving, but the judge over turned the ticket saying that the operator was in full control of the motorcycle...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i would fight the ticket but i'm thinking that i don't have any evidence (at least evidence that would hold up in court) that suggests i truly am inocent. i did get to see the radar but he had to turn it back on (it was a motor cycle cop) and my "speed" was not locked in. i dunno...as far as getting a lawyer, i tried that once with no luck. all he did was get me off on defered which i could have easily done myself. :(

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
so what does FTP mean? file transfer protocol? :mrgreen: haha j/k.. umm yeah i'd definately fight it. why pay for a ticket you didnt deserve and then have your insurance go up and pay for that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
WOW, what a bunch of bs. I cant believe they give badges to ppl like that. Hmmm you can try and fight it, but like you said you dont have any evidence. Maybe your friend can help you out if she was there watching the whole thing. Then that could get blown off cuz shes your friend :???: Hope everything works out for you. F(some of)T(a-hole)P

w|ll

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Showing the RADAR unit being law is something I've always heard, but have never seen proven true. State of Kansas does not require the issuing officer to show the RADAR unit to the offender (I was a certified Doppler RADAR instructor, so I kinda know what I'm talking about here), furthermore, the issuing officer does not have to get a lock on the offender either, all they have to do is observe the speed. If you want to know what to ask for in court I'll be more than happy to help. ;-)

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
If you chirp your tires or accelerate too quckly in CA, it can be an exhibition of speed, which is a misdameanor rather than a citation. A cop threatened to write me up for exhibition of speed when I pulled out of a parking lot and didn't have quite enough room so I gunned it and chirped my tires.

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
P.S. I predict this thread will be locked soon. We generally have a policy against making blanket statements against Law Enforcement Officers. =)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Each law varies from state to state, but here is a breif rundown of everything I had to do.

RADAR unit tested at begining of shift (includes tuning fork calibration and unit self diagnostic)
RADAR unit self diagnositc after each citation issued
RADAR unit tested at end of shift (tuning forks and self diagnostic).

You need to get the RADAR units calibration record
You need to get the officers RADAR certification

If either of these documents are not provided upon request the citation can be dismissed.
If there is a lapse in the officers certification during dates he/she issued a citation, it will be dismissed.
IF the RADAR unit has a lapse in certification during dates of issued citation, it will be dismissed.

What state do you live in?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts