Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went for a ride this weekend and when i top off my tank and started the bike the fuel gauge said i was already down 1 bar. (03 rr) i shot off the bike and check the tank it was full. i was at 95 miles and the fuel gauge started flashing (reserve) got the gas station and i only put in 2.5 gallons. what do i do? i bought the bike used. so i dont have a worrenty how much does it cost to fix?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
i did a search, and it sounds like the gas gauge goes bad, and the dealer ends up replacing it. I don't have a clue to how much it would cost..gl

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
resqme said:
i did a search, and it sounds like the gas gauge goes bad, and the dealer ends up replacing it. I don't have a clue to how much it would cost..gl
I think you're talking about 2 different issues. The dealer usually replaces the guage cluster if the buttons stop working.

There's nothing wrong with your gas gauge. It sounds like the tank float is bent or out of calibration. Just go by your miles per tank. Otherwise, you have to pull the tank and remove the fuel pump assembly to correct the float. Not worth it in my book.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i went to the my local dealer today and i asked them what the problem might be and they said it could be the sending unit or the lcd screen. if it was the sending unit it would be 400 dollars plus labor. the other thing is they havnt seen a problem like this either. i tend to think a little different. so for now i am going to use my mileage for now. but i would like to get a fixed since it is a really nice toy

·
Registered
310 Posts
Dude, I'm having the same troubles with mine. I have a black '05. Happened twice. The first time I had only one bar left but no red LED for reserve. Bike died, pushed it to a gas station, fired right up with a full tank. Today, a month or so later, I'm riding down the road, have 2 bars showing and it runs of of gas again. Ridiculous! I have a feeling its the sending unit. Haven't taken it to the dealer yet, still has warranty but I have changed out the intake and exhaust system and don't feel like putting it back to stock just to keep Honda happy. I guess I'll have to do the milage thing for now. A pity seeing how much the freaking thing costs.
Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Check your connections from the sending unit and the connection to the console. If it is the sending unit i'd search ebay for a replacement tank with the unit still in it or the unit itself. And if no luck there I would probably leave it and go by milage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts