Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I just picked up a '06 600RR for 1800ish (paid what he owed to bank) because he is being deployed. The bike has been sitting for about at year, so I went ahead and got a new battery. It wouldn't start (didn't hear fuel pump prime), so we trailered it to my house and I took everything apart. I could hear the engine stop relay click, but not the fuel pump relay. I switch the relays and still didn't get a different result. I've got the gas tank sitting up and I want to know which of the 2 non-ground wires should be 12V to power the pump, so I can just be sure the pump is still in good condition. Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram? That would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Long story short, I just picked up a '06 600RR for 1800ish (paid what he owed to bank) because he is being deployed. The bike has been sitting for about at year, so I went ahead and got a new battery. It wouldn't start (didn't hear fuel pump prime), so we trailered it to my house and I took everything apart. I could hear the engine stop relay click, but not the fuel pump relay. I switch the relays and still didn't get a different result. I've got the gas tank sitting up and I want to know which of the 2 non-ground wires should be 12V to power the pump, so I can just be sure the pump is still in good condition. Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram? That would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.
Check the harness between the engine stop and fuel cut relays, no point in checking the fuel pump itself until the fuel cut relay is working correctly.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Also check the ground point just below and behind your seat on the left hand side, it's a box with a heap of green wires running into it. Just pull it apart and check for corrosion on the pins and shorting board.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I backtracked and everything from the main harness through the relay up to the fuel pump harness is working (good ground and 12V). Relay just need to be cleaned and reseated. I then unplugged the fuel pump connector and I'm getting a 12V "priming" signal on the yellow wire when the key is initially turned on. I'm assuming the red is for the fuel gauge? I know the blue/white is ground because it's grounded on the outside of the tank. If I plug the harness back into the fuel pump and "back-probe" the yellow when the key is turned on, I get no 12V signal.

With this given information, is it safe to assume the fuel pump is bad? Perhaps shorted out?

Thanks again in advance.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
If you have 12V there then yep, it must be the fuel pump - but it wont be shorted out, if it was you would be blowing you FI fuse.

EDIT: And yep, the red wire is the fuel sender...

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
when i first bought my bike i had the same problem but my fix was simple i guess. the issue with mine was that the sensor right behind the headlights got loose and was sitting sideways so the bike always thought it was tipped over. when it's like that the bike won't start and the fuel pump won't prime.

just something you might want to check?

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
when i first bought my bike i had the same problem but my fix was simple i guess. the issue with mine was that the sensor right behind the headlights got loose and was sitting sideways so the bike always thought it was tipped over. when it's like that the bike won't start and the fuel pump won't prime.

just something you might want to check?
I won't be that cause he has power to the fuel pump, it's just not running.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look forward to hearing how you go!
Received the pump in the mail and she started right up with no hiccups. Thanks for all the help/advice Nico. I really appreciated it!

BTW, what would make a fuel pump go bad after ~4 years (8K mi)? I've had bikes that were much older with much higher mileage with no fuel pump issues.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Received the pump in the mail and she started right up with no hiccups. Thanks for all the help/advice Nico. I really appreciated it!

BTW, what would make a fuel pump go bad after ~4 years (8K mi)? I've had bikes that were much older with much higher mileage with no fuel pump issues.
Sh!t servos that dilute their fuel with to much toluene, just eats at the inside of fuel systems... dodgy part right from the beginning... misuse (ie running it dry and overheating it).... bad luck... could be a bunch of stuff.

And always happy to help :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts