Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Fuel pump and no starter crank

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Cahoats 
#1 ·
My 2003 CBR 600rr Has been stolen and recovered but has had some damage to it and been dropped. Before it was stolen, bike started and ran.
Now with a new ignition switch, all The lights turn on but the fuel pump doesn’t prime and the starter button will not try to turn over.

I have checked all the fuses are good. The kill switch seems to be always on with continuity. I bypassed the BAS because they cut it out, same thing with the kick stand kill switch. I had tested the starter motor with a jumper wire and it still functions. But when I press the starter button the headlights dim with no click to the starter relay. (So I’m thinking it could be the relay?) I tried troubleshooting the fuel pump and starter but I’m still new to this and don’t really know how to. If anyone has any idea about what is going on I would love the help.

#2 ·
You have to hear the fuel pump spool up before starting on other things. If the pump does not spool up nothing else matters at this point. Bike will have no fuel pressure and nothing 'downstream' will work.

Make sure you bypassed the BAS correctly (jump the plug with a wire on the bike side plug).

The sidestand switch won't stop the pump from priming, that will just cut off the ignition if you let the clutch out while in gear.

Not sure what you mean by kill switch always being on. I'm guessing it's basically been bypassed.

Do this: leave your ignition on while playing with the wiring and connectors. If you suddenly make a connection the pump will spool up. This has worked for me more than once to find where a problem is.

Starter relays are easy and cheap to swap out but also rarely go bad. It has nothing to do with the pump not priming though.

It's an old bike so it could actually be a bad pump. To check it you can apply 12v to the pins but this is best done with it removed from the tank, so that's a bit of work.

#5 ·
You have to hear the fuel pump spool up before starting on other things. If the pump does not spool up nothing else matters at this point. Bike will have no fuel pressure and nothing 'downstream' will work.

Make sure you bypassed the BAS correctly (jump the plug with a wire on the bike side plug).

The sidestand switch won't stop the pump from priming, that will just cut off the ignition if you let the clutch out while in gear.

Not sure what you mean by kill switch always being on. I'm guessing it's basically been bypassed.

Do this: leave your ignition on while playing with the wiring and connectors. If you suddenly make a connection the pump will spool up. This has worked for me more than once to find where a problem is.

Starter relays are easy and cheap to swap out but also rarely go bad. It has nothing to do with the pump not priming though.

It's an old bike so it could actually be a bad pump. To check it you can apply 12v to the pins but this is best done with it removed from the tank, so that's a bit of work.
The BAS was cut off by who ever stole it, but there were open wires and I connected the two outer ones together from what I saw how other people did it on the internet but I will double check.

And I just took some jumper wires to the fuel pump and the battery and it turned on so that works.

As for the kill switch, I'm not entirely sure on how to by pass that but with my very limited ability with a multimeter i think it works correctly on the run position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.