Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel cap on my bike is extremely difficult to open - I can only get it to open about once in every 5-6 tries or more. I've never had any problems with it before - this just began today as I tried to put gas in it. The key turns the cylinder just fine, and you can hear it unlocking, but it only rises 1-2mm - just to the point where the cap is no longer flush with the ring. It's definitely unlocked (at least partially), because if you push the cap back down, it clicks and the key turns back to the insert position - it just won't open. The only way to get it to fully release is to push down on the cap extremely hard (to the point where the metal at the top of the gas tank & cap mechanism is flexing) before turning the key.

Has anyone had this problem before? Was it simply weak internal springs in the locking mechanism? Did the mechanism simply need lubrication, or did the cap have to be replaced? I really don't want to spend 10-20 minutes trying to get my gas tank open each time I need to put gas in my bike...

·
BOTM 07/09
1,693 Posts
Just use some white lithium grease. Be careful not to let any drop into the tank. I would say use some spray lubricant, but then you run the risk of it getting into your tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts