Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I’m looking for a full exhaust system for my 05 Honda Cbr 600rr. When using google search I can only find slip on exhausts when I’m looking for a full system. (Preferably Akraprovic or Yoshimura) I was able to find some full exhausts but from other brands such as Arrow and I was told they make low quality parts. If somebody could reply with a link to a full exhaust that would be amazing. Also let me know which exhaust you guys think would be best if you’d like.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There aren't a lot of options currently available on '05-'06. The only options I can find right now are GPR, Arrow, and Hard Racing. I haven't heard anything particularly bad about Arrow. OTOH, I know that for my bike, a Yoshimura system won't fit with any fiberglass bodywork.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The only reason to get a full exhaust is to eliminate the cat and thereby increase exhaust flow. But on these the cat doesn't restrict airflow any meaningful amount. Other than some minor weight reduction a full system doesn't offer much benefit.

One option is to take the headers to an exhaust shop and have them cut off the cat and weld on piece of pipe the same length. Then you'd be achieving the same thing as a full exhaust and could use whatever muffler you like. Probably be a lot cheaper too.

I had Arrow on a Ninja and I liked the sound. Though it's not a popular brand in the US, they are huge in Europe. It's not some little off brand company. Triumph uses them on all their high end bikes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The only reason to get a full exhaust is to eliminate the cat and thereby increase exhaust flow. But on these the cat doesn't restrict airflow any meaningful amount. Other than some minor weight reduction a full system doesn't offer much benefit.
<snip>
I had Arrow on a Ninja and I liked the sound. Though it's not a popular brand in the US, they are huge in Europe. It's not some little off brand company. Triumph uses them on all their high end bikes.
The reason I want a full system is because fiberglass bodywork is incompatible with stock exhausts, and Yoshimura RS-5 exhausts. And I want fiberglass body work because it's repairable in a way that plastic isn't, and it comes off easier when you need to do any kind of basic maintenance. Sound doesn't really matter to me, TBH; if it wouldn't be a significant performance hit, I'd prefer something that muffled the sound like you get on modern touring bikes.

I 100% agree about Arrow; they make good stuff, and they definitely charge accordingly. I've got an Arrow mid pipe (long story), and it's definitely not fly-by-night Chinesium ********.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Akraprovic has full system. Yoshimura only shows slip-ons on line, call them to get their price on the Header. Arrow has a full system. All 3 brands are the best out there. You will need to add BMC and/or Sprint high flow filter and do a either ECU Flash or Power Commander if you run full systems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just went thru a similiar experience. The '06 former race bike seemed like a bargain for track day use, I didn't realize what a unicorn it was.
It had a modified OEM collector (the outlet pipe section was replaced by an increased diameter section to match a moriwaki midpipe/silencer. the midpipe had support from the subframe but the silencer was cantilevered off the rear, supported by pop-rivets to the midpipe.

i found the same small number of options
1) used akrapovic's on ebay are either overpriced or damaged and overpriced
2) new Arrows seem nice enough but not cheap, availalble on ebay from italy
3) NOS KR' custom Arrows seem nicer and even pricier
4) GPR offers options at what seemed reasonable prices

I purchased a GPR slipon, when it didn't fit my existing collector outlet is when i realized the moriwaki exhaust was part of full system that required the modified outlet. GPR didnt/wouldn't offer a collector seperately. i was 50/50 on the tiburon vs M3 cans, so ordered a 2nd time, a complete exhaust with the M3 can. What arrived was another slipon, without the collectors!

I contacted GPR, sent them pictures. They promised to resolve the problem, several weeks later another box finally showed up. the collectors fit the engine ok, but the outlet this time was reduced. somebody decided to swage the outlet, I 'guessed' that the slipon needed the thick OEM gasket. This failed, the OEM gasket ID equaled the collector upstream of the swaged end. Another round of communication with GPR, this time interrupted by the summer break. instead of sending me the correctly dimensioned outlet pipe, they fashioned a steel filler 'gasket', this had the right dimensions but it filled a gap that never needed to exist! It also was continuous, so the midpipe could clamp onto it but no clamping force could transfer to the collector, it needs a hacksaw to make a split ring to work. GPR has never responded for my third and final round of communication expressing my disappointment in what I ended up with.

No instructions or assembly drawing was supplied, i asked multiple times for a parts list or assembly drawing. I did get a drawing of the tiburon slipon. I also got an assembly drawing of a collector, but it was pretty obvious that drawing was a cut/paste of an Arrow collector. (one can see the spring perch on the collector outlet for connecting to the midpipe, which the GPR definitely does not use)

No complete picture was ever provided on that showed how they expected this thing to be assembled.
Throughout all of this, DHL shipping was quick and efficient. The GPR USA rep in Florida did her best to help. The home office rep was always cordial, but the final result was unsatisfying.

while waiting I came across a dent free '04 LeoVince complete exhaust on ebay, some effort was needed to attach but it seems fine and has 3 O2 sensor outlets. (GPR and Arrows look to have none)

The GPR parts all seem reasonably good quality, aside from issues described above. I would be using it if the ebay option hadn't popped up. If anyone is interested i was going to put on the classifieds for at 50% list shipped to 48states. I can include a stainless O2 bung, a hole saw and welder will be needed.

what I got from GPR:
Rectangle Grey Font Wood Gas

Musical instrument Automotive exterior Bicycle part Bumper Wood

Cosmetics Material property Cylinder Household hardware Font

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just went thru a similiar experience. The '06 former race bike seemed like a bargain for track day use, I didn't realize what a unicorn it was.
<snip>
JFC, that seems like a lot of hassle to get an exhaust system working. While I'm glad that GPR was willing to work with you and try to make things work, it sounds like it was a nightmare that ended up never working correctly. It seems like an exhaust system should be correct right out of the box, esp. if it's supposed to be made for your make and model. Not fitting Morikawa headers I get, but the rest? Boo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
JFC, that seems like a lot of hassle to get an exhaust system working. While I'm glad that GPR was willing to work with you and try to make things work, it sounds like it was a nightmare that ended up never working correctly. It seems like an exhaust system should be correct right out of the box, esp. if it's supposed to be made for your make and model. Not fitting Morikawa headers I get, but the rest? Boo.
I thought that I was at an impasse with them, but after sending them a link to my impromptu review they asked what they could do to rectify the situation. They are resolving my situation.

I doubt the next system they ship will have the same mistake. I think somebody in the shop made a command decision with bad information.

If I was in the market today, that Striker/Arata system is appealing if it is a complete kit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts