Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it time to do a full service maintenance on my 2010 rr. I've been shopping around to see what's included and how much it usually ranges from in cost. Metric method in South oc is mentioned alot around here. Their full service included valve, spark plugs brakes lines, coolant, cam chain tensioner(mines making the noise again), air filter, oil change. I was quoted over the phone at 700 for the service. Parts not included which was told would be about 300 additional.

It's the first time I'm getting work done by a pro shop and want to insight on cost and expectations. what should I be asking or requesting.

Dxxsilva

·
Registered
377 Posts
Is there alink to when this service is due? I bought my bike used and have only done consumables (oil, sprockets, chain). I'd like to know if I should bring my bike in to have those checked =)

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thank you!!! I just clicked over 8,000 Miles... Maybe i should bring the bike to my local dealer and have them check over the bike for the 8k service interval?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well for parts if you're doing brake lines, filter, plugs, tensioner, and oil/filter, Unless they are doing the parts at a discount your probably going to be over 300$. I haven't met anyone who actually changes the brake lines at recommended intervals but kudos if you do. I would say if your planning to do lines might as well get a little better feel at the lever and go steel braided lines IMO. Service quote is pretty accurate it really just depends if any of your valves are out of spec. It could be considerably less if none of your valves need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thank you!!! I just clicked over 8,000 Miles... Maybe i should bring the bike to my local dealer and have them check over the bike for the 8k service interval?
I'd invest in a service manual if you don't have one already and just do it yourself. Nothing in the 8k service is very difficult. Other than changing your oil and filter, it's really just visually inspecting things for wear and leaks. Maybe adjust the slack on your clutch/throttle cables. All pretty straight forward and if you get the manual and follow it's directions, you'll start getting familiar with the bike.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well for parts if you're doing brake lines, filter, plugs, tensioner, and oil/filter, Unless they are doing the parts at a discount your probably going to be over 300$. I haven't met anyone who actually changes the brake lines at recommended intervals but kudos if you do. I would say if your planning to do lines might as well get a little better feel at the lever and go steel braided lines IMO. Service quote is pretty accurate it really just depends if any of your valves are out of spec. It could be considerably less if none of your valves need to be adjusted.
Not knowing the mileage since he didn't state it, I'd assume they are only going to be inspecting most areas, not replacing. Brake lines for sure will just be inspected unless they are leaking.

The maintenance schedule in the manual has "I" for inspect and "R" for replace at the specified intervals. You'll notice most of them are "I" over and over again until they wear out and need replacing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not knowing the mileage since he didn't state it, I'd assume they are only going to be inspecting most areas, not replacing. Brake lines for sure will just be inspected unless they are leaking.

The maintenance schedule in the manual has "I" for inspect and "R" for replace at the specified intervals. You'll notice most of them are "I" over and over again until they wear out and need replacing.

I understand that, I was trying to answer his question regarding the prices he was quoted.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I understand that, I guess I was more trying to answer his question regarding the prices he was quoted.
Yeah, they are probably only quoting the minimum parts based on what the manual says to replace and will come back with "we found this while we were in there and you need..." I'd definitely ask for a breakdown of those costs by item before letting them start.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, they are probably only quoting the minimum parts based on what the manual says to replace and will come back with "we found this while we were in there and you need..." I'd definitely ask for a breakdown of those costs by item before letting them start.

I agree. that's why I said if they did everything its going to be more. +1 on getting a breakdown of parts quotes.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Valve check at 16 K miles.

plugs same.

CCT done in 8K miles?

FWIW,make sure you're knowledgabl when you walk/ride into a good shop.

Good for you asking ? OTF

pop quiz: What's your tire psi right now, and when did you last check it with a reliable gauge?

The reason I ask these ?'s.

These are not "learner bikes".

Constant small maintenance tasks should be done, and you need to be mechanically inclined to do a lot of the maint. correctly.

Got a shop manual?

That's #1 helpful, and will let you save $$$.

ps take bike into shop clean.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Here's what I've done on my bike so far at 44 Kmi in a different perspective. They're all accumulative and not tied to a specific interval.

• Replaced front brakes
  • Switched out rubber brake hoses for steel braided (Spiegler)
  • Flushed brake fluids due to reason above
  • Changed stock air filter to BMC
  • Oil Change/Oil Filter
  • Flushed Radiator
  • Cleaned brake calipers (front/rear)
  • Cleaned the floating rotor rivets
What I need to do:

• Change fork oil and replace all rubber seals
  • Change spark plugs
  • Valve adjustments
  • Cam chain tensioner (maybe?)
Cost seems to be reasonable for the service done. Maybe you can find cheaper parts online and have it ready for the guy to shave a few dollars.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Their full service included valve, spark plugs brakes lines, coolant, cam chain tensioner(mines making the noise again), air filter, oil change.
Why are you replacing the brake lines? Unless its to upgrade to steel braided its a waste of time and money. How many miles on the bike? I only do valves on my streetbike every 32k and they've never been much if at all off. The rest of the stuff is super simple to do yourself.
-Coolant: you pull a hose off. It drains out. You re-fill. Done.
-Air filter: the bodywork coming off and going on is harder then actually replacing the air filter
-spark plugs- it tells you in the owners manual how to change them. Kinda a pain in the butt but not complicated by any means
-oil change: this is obvious right?

I say do what you can yourself and save the money!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts