Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where this goes so feel free to move it please. Starting a couple weekends ago. When i go to the mountains and lay into her I smell this wierd plastic burning smell. Anyone know what this is?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
yikes... kinda vague...

But... Follow your headers back to your exhaust, make sure nothing is laying up on there... Check you engine and what not as well.

I certainly would stip my plastics and look at everything. Burning smells aren't a great thing, and if you check now, you may find something that could have gotten much worse had you not checked into it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Have you had the plastice off before? Either yourself, or in the shop somewhere? It's possible that maybe a wire was routed wrong or something like that when they were reinstalled.

Hey you sure you're not just doing smoke shows and pulling our legs here?

·
0 Posts
Ceph said:
the smell might be your upper lip. go wash your face, then go for a ride and let us know if you can still smell it.:icon_lol:
:sign10: +1 for the upper lip suggestion!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
If your really spankin it, or you just cant ride gears properly, it could be your clutch. Whenever i drive my dads Subie i can smell the clutch burning after a while. Its a rubbery/plasicy ackrid kinda smell.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've had that happen to me, of course it was coming from my radiator, I think some plastic got trapped there while I was riding.

·
She thinks my tractor's sexy, it really turns her
5,253 Posts
once i strapped a backpack onto the little hooks underneath the rear seat, it worked really well till i smelled somthin and one of the straps had come loose and was burnin round the exhaust.

·
Registered
735 Posts
check your headers i know i had some tape left on mine from the dealer,

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok i washed my upper lip and i still smell it LOL. I noticed a couple of drips on the concrete where i park it so i tightened the plug up and the filter and cleaned of some oil going to see how that works.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
at least it wasn't your lip you were smellin, lol. wait til you run into someones plastic grocery sack just blowing down the road. Catch one of those on the headers and you got one hell of a mess.

take it to the car wash ans rinse it off with the low pressure pre-soak. that stuff is great. get the headers and mid pipe really good. while your at it spray out the radiator, dirt in there doesn't help cooling at all. hell you might just be frying a grasshopper or junebug somewhere.

let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Also, make sure that your valve cover gasket is sealing properly. Just wipe your fingers on the metal casting around it (when it is cold obviously) and make sure it is not oily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts