Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering what would be causing this. Have a 2004 CBR rr and the gas gauge always reads full. I am assuming it's the float probably being stuck somewhere, but not quite sure if I should put something in the gas tank and start feeling around. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Was just wondering what would be causing this. Have a 2004 CBR rr and the gas gauge always reads full. I am assuming it's the float probably being stuck somewhere, but not quite sure if I should put something in the gas tank and start feeling around. Any suggestions ?
Could be a bad gauge cluster... Just to keep that in mind.

Mine was showing my bike was overheating but it was just a bad cluster.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Yep, more than likely to be the float - this would be a very very very very rare fault condition for anything electrical besides the gauges and even that would be a hard one for me to foresee...

poke an inspection mirror in there and have a look when there isn't much fuel left... you'll need a torch as well :)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
my '04 is the same, when i asked around i was told it was probably the sending unit. the sending unit is part of the pump so the entire pump needed to be replaced to fix the issue. i'm not going to spend ~400$ for a working gas gauge so i go by the miles. my float appears to be "floating", so i dunno. GL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my '04 is the same, when i asked around i was told it was probably the sending unit. the sending unit is part of the pump so the entire pump needed to be replaced to fix the issue. i'm not going to spend ~400$ for a working gas gauge so i go by the miles. my float appears to be "floating", so i dunno. GL
Yea figured it might be the pump, and was thinking of taking all that apart, but eventually said screw it. I never had a gas gauge on my older R6 anyway, so it's not a huge deal, just would of been nice. I'll still drain the tank and take a look-see inside, see what's going on with the floater.

Thanks for the opinion guys !.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Yea figured it might be the pump, and was thinking of taking all that apart, but eventually said screw it. I never had a gas gauge on my older R6 anyway, so it's not a huge deal, just would of been nice. I'll still drain the tank and take a look-see inside, see what's going on with the floater.

Thanks for the opinion guys !.
Just ride around till its almost empty then have a look with a torch... much easier than pulling stuff apart to drain it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts