Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I gas guage stopped working for some reason, it always show full even when the tank is empty. Everything else seem to be working fine, the key-on cycling test don't seem to indicate anything wrong...all lights are working. Not sure if tis is an electronic or a mechanical issue...where do I begin to trouble shoot? Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
the main harness for the cluster might have gotten loose

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the harness and all the wiring they are good, no loose end there. I'm beginning to suspect that maybe a sensor or other hardware may have to do with this.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
well if all the other fuctions of the cluster are in working order may be the fuel level sensor within the tank is the problem

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my gas gauge - if you find out whats wrong, let me know!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I consulted the service manual but there is nothing specific about the gas guage; looks like you've to replace the entire unit including pump and everything.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
It's most likely NOT your guage cluster. It's either the sensor or the flaot itself is stuck. Trying sloshing a half-tank of gas around really hard to see if the float is stuck. Hold the front brake and push up and down on the front forks as hard as you can.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Take your gauges off and plug them into another bike. Ask the dealership if you don't have another bike available.

Mine reads full all the time and its definitely in the gauges but all I care about is the tach, oil and neutral lights.

·
Registered
986 Posts
took it too the dealer today and they said the gauge is messed up, so i get a new one for free!!! 0 miles... yay now i have resale value!!! :evil1: hehe jk.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Here's what the service manual said, looks like if it not the wiring harness or the fuel level sensor, then you need to replace the circuit board in the cluster.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
SquidKid said:
took it too the dealer today and they said the gauge is messed up, so i get a new one for free!!! 0 miles... yay now i have resale value!!! :evil1: hehe jk.
you sneaky man you...lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info AlpineJim, I got to give this a try soon. Now what does a 'combination printed circuit board' on page 20-11 look like?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took a closer look at the interior of the tank today and noticed the lever is in the empty position, and it appears that it's capable of moving freely. However, the gas gage is still registering full tank.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had that same problem. Turns out my sending unit **** itself and needed to be replaced.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts