Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had i block on the gas indicator.....and the bike shut off...i ran out of gas thankfully i was a block from the gas station and i walked it over...Anyway has this happend to anyone..I usually will get down to the blinking light and then fill up..This is wierd...Help?!

·
Watch out Vale Xavier Alexander is coming
1,088 Posts
Yes...did you do alot of short trips and start the bike numberous times in the last few days? If you did...that causes the gas guage to be off.

Go by miles....don't go by the guage...

·
Ocho Cinco
1,715 Posts
Dude... this just happened to me! It's fucked. I took my '06 to the dealership, they have a new fuel pump on order for me. It's still under warranty, thank god!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
How many of you guys have taken your front fairing off? If you dont plug the harness into the back of the instrument cluster all the way in, it causes the clock to mess up and the Fuel Indicator to malfunction.

·
1,088 Posts
How many of you guys have taken your front fairing off? If you dont plug the harness into the back of the instrument cluster all the way in, it causes the clock to mess up and the Fuel Indicator to malfunction.
I have never taken mine...the dealer did to replace it after my get off. But the guage is still accurate...except when I make lots of little trips and have to turn on anf off the bike.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i do alot of short trips ...so what are you saying i should just go by the miles...does this mean the gauge is incorrect.?? i took out an extended warrenty on the bike...Should i bring it back to the dealer?

·
1,088 Posts
i do alot of short trips ...so what are you saying i should just go by the miles...does this mean the gauge is incorrect.?? i took out an extended warrenty on the bike...Should i bring it back to the dealer?
I trust miles more than the guage no matter what vehicle I drive/ride. And since I use my machines all the time I have a good idea of the average my machines can do....that's my personal preference.

You can take it to the dealer, but they won't find anything....I took mine and they basically said I was crazy...but it ONLY happens to me when I make lots of short trips.

I have never ran into any problems with mine, ever.
I only notice the guage being off because I go by miles....everytime "I" make lots of random short trips the pressure builds in the tank and makes the guage read higher than it is....I made a thread about the first time I ran outta gas because of that....so I ONLY go by miles now.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so what are the averge miles to go by

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea your right everyone does ride differntly ....im dropping the bike off on friday to get an oil change and have them look at the pump...Thanks for alll your help guys...ride safe...

End/Thread.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
So i had i block on the gas indicator.....and the bike shut off...i ran out of gas thankfully i was a block from the gas station and i walked it over...Anyway has this happend to anyone..I usually will get down to the blinking light and then fill up..This is wierd...Help?!
Same problem here
With tank empty gauge shows 2 bars.

Does it on BOTH the 2006 600RR street bike AND the 2003 Race bike.
Have re-seated the connectors at the gauge and tank & have a good connection.

Thinking it's a sending unit problem

Honda does NOT sell just the sending unit.
You have to replace the fuel pump ($269 from Ron Ayers)
Funny cause you can see the sending unit is screwed to the top of the fuel pump....an easy replacement once the pump is out of the tank (removing the pump is time consuming)

Seems to be a common problem but Honda USA does NOT have a service bulletin on it.

Call Honda USA & report this problem.
With enough calls they might start selling the sending unit separately.

Their number is
1-866-784-1870
press the "0" option

·
Registered
123 Posts
I trust miles more than the guage no matter what vehicle I drive/ride. And since I use my machines all the time I have a good idea of the average my machines can do....that's my personal preference.

You can take it to the dealer, but they won't find anything....I took mine and they basically said I was crazy...but it ONLY happens to me when I make lots of short trips.

I only notice the guage being off because I go by miles....everytime "I" make lots of random short trips the pressure builds in the tank and makes the guage read higher than it is....I made a thread about the first time I ran outta gas because of that....so I ONLY go by miles now.
why not just open up the gas tank cover? wont that relieve/reset the pressure?

Also, how does pressure make the gauge read higher? The gas gauge sending unit is basically just a potentiometer with a float that adjusts the pot and floats at the top of the gas in the tank.

·
Registered
972 Posts
snaps son! haa ive gotten mine down to flash but i was reeelly close to a gas station....... i wanna test out one day how long it takes to get to 0

·
1,088 Posts
why not just open up the gas tank cover? wont that relieve/reset the pressure?

Also, how does pressure make the gauge read higher? The gas gauge sending unit is basically just a potentiometer with a float that adjusts the pot and floats at the top of the gas in the tank.
Why don't I just go by miles instead? Seems easier to me...

When you get inconsistencies in the guage...they just don't fix themselves that simply. If that was the case, they would just install a pressure release valve of some sort.

I am no mechanic, but I do understand how some things function.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I dont think the pressure is suppose to affect the gas gauge and not sure how you came to that conclusion.

If you look in your gas tank you should see the float. If you use a hanger or something to grab the float (in a nearly empty gas tank) you can see your gauge move up and down when you move the float up and down.

Don't want people to get the misconception that pressure in the gas tank directly affects the accuracy of the gauge but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Uh....the tank should be vented.....shouldn't be building up pressure in the tank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts