Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my newish 04cbrrr and have put on about 4-500 miles. (mileage is 7500) The problem is that I have been filling the tank every 100 miles. When I fill the tank I only put in about 2.3-2.7 gallons depending on how low I am to empty due to meter saying i am low to empty. My gas guage tells me that the tank is empty, and when I look in the tank it looks pretty empty. ...Now I used to have a 99 R6 and I would get 160-180 miles per tank so I know these bikes are capable of that amount.

I also know that the tank is a 4.3 gallon tank, so why am I running out of gas so quickly?

Possible Problems:
1. Is my meter malfunctioning? --
2. Is my bike tuned badly for some reason?
3. Someone is playing a joke on me and put a spacer in the tank. (not likely)

My responses:
1. The meter works fine, but may be incorectly calibrated
2. The bike is not spitting flames, so its not dumping fuel into the cylinders
3. We can rule that out as a joke.

Does anyone have any clue, or share the same problem?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Search the forums on this one. When the last bar starts blinking, you have about 1 gallon left, but these gas gauges can't be trusted. Watch your mileage, fill up around 150 mi, and you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Mine flashes 140ish. On my way home from work ( every third day) my meter flashes just after leaving and I go like 20 more miles till I stop for gas. My fillup is like 3.5 gal or a little less.

2.3 - 2.7 galons per 100 miles sounds about right.

·
Registered
176 Posts
your mileage may vary....

street driving at sane rpms = 42-48 (more toward 48) mpg with a 170lbs meat sack i nhte saddle

At the track solidly north of 7k rpm at most times = well...lets not say but I'll add that the thing eats 5 gallons of fuel by lunch.....

it will depend on how you are driving her too

·
Registered
147 Posts
You got the bike used? Have you had the plastic tank cover off so you could see the actual metal tank? A possible contributing factor to the meter being inaccurate could be that a prior owner dented the tank and you have less than normal capacity.

Your experience of getting roughly 100 miles per 2.5 gallons = 40 mpg, which is about right, depending on how aggressive you ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts