Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't write this and hope it's ok to post. this person has a good idea.
Read on.....

Subject: Gas Prices.

Dear friends & family, I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer. Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the don't buy gas on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy gas.

It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $1.77 for regular unleaded gas in Riverwoods, IL. We all know that we're being screwed by the oil companies. Does everyone remember how they drove up the prices way past a dollar and got the gas prices to where they wanted them, claiming there was a shortage of oil. Well, there isn't any shortage now, and the oil is more abundant than it was 35 years ago when the price of a gallon of gas was 29 cents!!! Since we all rely on our cars, we cant just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How?

Heres the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. Its really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and Ill explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to at least thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) .... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people... Well, lets face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am .. so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Ill bet you I didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 OR LESS RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK!!!!!!!

PLEASE take a few minutes and pass this on to everyone you know!! If you can't e-mail it to at least ten people, please print out a bunch of copies and hand it out to your family and friends!!

NO MORE MOBIL & EXXON FOR ME!!!!

Add your state below!

Texas
West Virginia
Kentucky
New York
Florida
NC

·
Registered
624 Posts
hmm. I see the point, but I don't even have any exxon or mobils around here that I know of. It's all Shell, Chevron, and 76 stations. So I guess, no prob! I'll make sure not to buy exxon or mobil.

·
Registered
283 Posts
you know those stations only make pennies on the gallon right? The thing is gasoline is an inelastic product, like cigarettes and alchohol. In effect when they raise the cost it won't kill the market, people will still buy it, and even if people cut back it's only a shift in demand, so they shift their supply over to match (aka how much they refine and such) and in the end can still make the same amount of money... I'm sure there is an econ person on here who can explain it better, I'm only an undergrad, so explanation kinda sucks, but in effect there are too many people who MUST have gasoline and it would take alot of us to completely stop buying gasoline, to even be noticed, cuz just cutting back won't do anything, infact they expect that we will so yeah I can't explain it anybetter

·
Registered
919 Posts
you know those stations only make pennies on the gallon right
BS, I know for a fact that on average the oil compnies here in CA make 69 cents a gallon, the rest is in tax, fees and then production costs. Of course our gas is well over $2 a gallon.

·
Registered
283 Posts
RRpilot said:
you know those stations only make pennies on the gallon right
BS, I know for a fact that on average the oil compnies here in CA make 69 cents a gallon, the rest is in tax, fees and then production costs. Of course our gas is well over $2 a gallon.
lol, dude gas tax is well over 50% if they were making 69c per gallon, there would be huge price wars I mean if the price is 2.69 and they are making 69 per gallon. If someone was to make thier price 2.30 by volume alone they would make a killing... now moving on, how much is the variation on average within a given township or county?? 10c yeah they can take a loss if it means they can sell more car washes and stuff in the stores, cuz a loss is only a loss if it's below your average cost so even though you are under cutting your gas price, you can gain in other places. So in effect if they really are price fixing at that inflated rate then it don't matter who you buy gasoline from, and if people really are making 69c per gallon on you in cali then you might aswell stop buying gasoline, or I need to call my bank, get a loan and start selling gasoline in Cali for 30c cheaper than anyone else, because at 40c *net* profit per gallon I'd be a millionare within the year.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This kind of **** is typical of a dickhead who needs to understand the market before he writes stupid **** like that :bitchslap:

First of all, i know everyone remembers previous summers when gas prices just plummetted below $1 and now everyone is upset that that the opposite is happening. It's because in the winter OPEC boosts exports of oil to the US and EU since they are the largest importers by far. The mistake that OPEC countries always made was that they would meet up and decide to cut production at the end of winter and set maximum export numbers - and then they would all go and sell more than they promised. this increased supply with decreased demand for oil in the summer (home heating and stuff) caused prices to plummet.

At last, OPEC countries have finally decided that they are truly going to keep their maximum output promises, since they realized they all lose when they sell oil so cheaply. Right after their meeting they said that they would all decrease output and really keep their promise this time. Thats when gas prices shot up because supply was not going to outpace demand this time around. These high prices are the result of the market and supply and demand dynamics, and they will decrease once demand reduces as the warmer months roll around.

So basically, it will stabalize itself, its mainly the projected decrease in oil output by the OPEC nations that is causing prices to skyrocket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really don't know how it works, but I can tell you this, we are all getting raped on the money we spend in gas. There is no way we should spend what we are spending on gas. At this time there is not an oil shortage or any other thing that should make gas go higher in price. we are being screwed over by the gas companys. And for that reason I will not buy from the 2 biggest gas suppliers.

Us as customers have to do something to help. If everyone buys from one the other will have to drop its price or loose a ton of money.

Just my thoughts.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rezaRR said:
This kind of s**t is typical of a dickhead who needs to understand the market before he writes stupid s**t like that :bitchslap:

First of all, i know everyone remembers previous summers when gas prices just plummetted below $1 and now everyone is upset that that the opposite is happening. It's because in the winter OPEC boosts exports of oil to the US and EU since they are the largest importers by far. The mistake that OPEC countries always made was that they would meet up and decide to cut production at the end of winter and set maximum export numbers - and then they would all go and sell more than they promised. this increased supply with decreased demand for oil in the summer (home heating and stuff) caused prices to plummet.

At last, OPEC countries have finally decided that they are truly going to keep their maximum output promises, since they realized they all lose when they sell oil so cheaply. Right after their meeting they said that they would all decrease output and really keep their promise this time. Thats when gas prices shot up because supply was not going to outpace demand this time around. These high prices are the result of the market and supply and demand dynamics, and they will decrease once demand reduces as the warmer months roll around.

So basically, it will stabalize itself, its mainly the projected decrease in oil output by the OPEC nations that is causing prices to skyrocket.

That is the biggest crock of [email protected] I've ever heard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bobskido said:
rezaRR said:
This kind of s**t is typical of a dickhead who needs to understand the market before he writes stupid s**t like that :bitchslap:

That is the biggest crock of [email protected] I've ever heard.

You must work for a gas station

·
Registered
229 Posts
You must work for a gas station
Hey relax, i was callin the guy that wrote the email a dickhead, not you

BTW, i am a student working towards a chem major with a concentration in pharmacology and also doing markets and management certification

I dont want to start an argument on the internet so i'll just let it be

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't remember a summer in the last 3 years that gas was below $1 in NY state. I really dont know why gas is so high and at this point i'm willing to try anything to get it down to a reasonable level. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything like that. It is that I just filled my truck up today and payed almost $50 for 20 gallons of gas. This has got to end sometime.

I hope you are right about the prices dropping in the summer. If not, I will have to take out a loan just to pay for gas to get back and forth from work because of the price.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The original email reeks familiarly of sensationalistic bullcrap that is written by some vain ass who knows nothing about economics, and whose only satisfaction is to see his so-called idea propagated around the net.

Good rule of thumb for anything you receive via email or see on the net: ignore anything that instructs you to "send it to at least ten more people...."

This type of chain letter (calling for a gas brand boycott) is not new -- I recall seeing these at least a few years ago. Here's an analysis from snopes.com, which has been around several years, debunking urban legends and hoaxes:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/gasout.htm

·
Registered
283 Posts
rezaRR said:

Yeah umm take an econ class before you start talking in terms of supply and demand, because first do you even understand the difference between a reduction in demand and a decrease in the quantity demanded? do you realize prjectors... kinda like I said in my first post are shifting their supply in antisipation...as I said all you are talking about is simple intro to econ stuff, which still has nothing to do with you saying that the gass stations are NETing 69c a gallon, that is my whole thing you moron, no **** the supply and demand curves are gonna start shifting, the companies are going to control their supplies to get the maximum return in the long run so that if there is an oil problem they have covered their bases... amd do you know why??? because another simple intro principle is that in the long run profit and loss reaches equilibrium... maybe if you had read my first post you would have seen that. Still though you have not yet told me where you get facts that point to gas stations making 69c net profits on gas so yeah before you call someone a dickhead, maybe you should read a book or take an econ class or somthing, because 1 you are regurgitating what you heard on CNN and 2 you still haven't explained how they are making 69c NET PROFIT and no one is exploiting the market...

C

·
0 Posts
I already stay away from them because there gas is like 10 cents per gallon more as it is.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Still though you have not yet told me where you get facts that point to gas stations making 69c net profits on gas so yeah before you call someone a dickhead,
my post has nothing to do with gas station profits
and no, i did not get that stuff from CNN, but it is my first econ class, so much of what i said is pretty basic, but it is somewhat simple to see why the prices have jumped from what i have learned so far.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts