Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I had a question specifically regarding what gas stations everyone uses. I have perused other posts and have not found a post relating to what I am asking (however if you have come across one if you could direct me to it that would be great). I am not sure if everyone is aware, but I have been tlod (by a reliable source) that there are only certain gas stations that have strict regulations the type of fuel they use. What I mean by this is there are some gas station companies that do not have strict regulations, and can legally dilute their gas (with God only knows what). The end result for us riders is that we get "bad gas" in our tanks and this can equal a multitude of problems. I'm not sure if others have experienced this issue like me, but I have experienced this "bad gas" problem and my bike would randomly stop and "chug" until I refueled my tank. I had no idea what was happening but found out from utilizing this site that I indeed had put in "bad gas."

To get to the point, I was told that Shell, UDF, and Speedway gas stations are the only gas stations that can be trusted, as they have strict regulations regarding not diluting the gas they serve. My question is, is there any other reputable gas stations that I can trust besides these? Since going to these 3 establishments I have not experienced any "bad gas" issues, however when I am out "carving the canyons" here in OH and Northern KY (yes we do have some) I find myself in the middle of nowhere with a low tank of gas and only "Papa Joe's Fuel Shack" to fuel up on.....needless to say I am hesitant to utilize "Papa's" services. Does anyone else get as paranoid with the particular gas station they use? And are there any other reputable gas stations other then the aforementioned 3?

Thanks for any insight/input, and ride safe and keep the shiny side up!:retard:

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
ive always like marathon and BP. ive never had any issues from either of these. just look on the pump some of em say 10% ethanol then you know its crap gas. i generally try to shy away from the non franchise stations that are "cheaper" but serve crap gas

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive always like marathon and BP. ive never had any issues from either of these. just look on the pump some of em say 10% ethanol then you know its crap gas. i generally try to shy away from the non franchise stations that are "cheaper" but serve crap gas
thx for the advice repsol! I figured since BP is now using their new "invigorate" formula or something like that..... it may be ok to use. Also, I will now look for the "10% Ethanol" sticker.....thx again brother and ride safe! :shakehand

·
Registered
763 Posts
That's pretty much ********. You may run into bad gas in a podunk town with a population of 20, but not in the city.

Go find a gas delivery truck and follow it. What you'll find is a truck that goes to Shell then to 7-11, then to Tiger Mart, then to your local grocery store that has gas.

Additives may differ from place to place, but a lot of gas stations use the same gas from the same source. Walmart & BP are two that probably don't fall within this.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've heard horror stories about Costco / supermarket gas stations but then again with the volume of business gas stations do there are horror stories everywhere.

I typically stick to Shell or Chevron as those are supposed to be the cleanest gasoline brands. I really like the new Shell nitrogen mix, didn't seem to do much for the bike but my truck certainly perked up with it.

Of course if you ride far enough you fill up with whatever you can find.

·
Registered
441 Posts
um.... i use bp and they have 10%ethanol .......

·
King of UPS
2,946 Posts
Chevron or Shell for me...:cruising:

·
Registered
299 Posts
no preference here
i get gas from random gas stations especially those close to freeways or busy highways and i havent had any problems in years
i track my bikes all the time using pump gas and ive had no problems of pre-detonation or anything like that in years yet again
i think that most gas stations get their petrol from the same refineries; their respective additives or lack-thereof are what make them differ from one another

only thing i do is avoid gas stations i know for sure dont get a lot of business
petrol that sits idle for a while probably isnt good

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just stick to one of the Top Tier stations. It is literally the same gas (other than possibly a slightly different detergent/additive mix in the premium fuel). Here's a list:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

As a rule of thumb, I try not to go to gas stations in BFE that might not be visited as frequently, as they are more likely to have higher concentrations of sediment in their tanks. Also, don't fill up if there's a tanker trunk filling up the storage tanks while you're there. That stirs up all the sediment in the tank, making it more likely that you'll have it pumped into your tank.

Shell is my station of choice, if that matters, just because I have a Shell card and there are many Shell stations where I live.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i am an owner of a gas station in canada. I dont know if the regulations in the usa are different than here, but here, the gas is regulated, and therefore every gas station basically has the same gas. there are STRICT regulations on gasoline that is sold here, and every company follows them.

For the people that say they would never trust a mom and pop gas station, here is some food for thought.... My mom and pop gas station can only buy gas from petro canada, shell, esso, or husky/mohawk. Also in this thread someone wrote they got gas from costco and it messed up their bike, well let me tell you that costco DOES NOT refine gasoline, they have to buy it from some other company, and another thing to think about, do you have any idea how much money it takes to refine oil into gas?? TONS!!!! And there are very few companies that have the resources to make gas, and guess who they are, if you guessed chevron, esso, shell, etc. you are correct.

So unless the usa has different regulation, which i doubt. Where ever you buy your gas, it should be all the same. All this crap about I would never buy gas at costco, and only buy from shell, well that costco gas might be exactly the same as the shell gas.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I use to like sunoco because they had a fourth option that was supposed to be better, didnt cost much more so I used it. :retard: but now I have a company gas card and I have to use marathon. No problems.

·
Registered
37 Posts
BP, Shell and Chevron.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I only run Chevron In all my rides. I write down all the info in all my cars and trucks so I know there running correctly. I'm old and when I was younger I did my own test and I got more miles out of a tank of Chevron over the little sh!t spots. Just my .02

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thx all for the advice....very informative....i didn't know about the sediment shifting when there was a tanker there....I just figured I'd be getting "fresher gas" when I pumped there...guess I was sadly mistaken!

·
Registered
277 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
i usually fill up at QT. sometimes sam's club. my dad used to be a truck driver and delivered gas, and knows what each station puts in their gas and how well they take care of their pumps and tanks. phillips 66 is also one he says has good stuff.

·
Registered
277 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts