Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone getting **** for wearing a helmet while filling up at the pumps, or for that matter, going inside to pay with their helmet still on?

I get it, everyone is guilty of something at all times. Welcome to the police state - it's only going to get worse.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
wear helmet all the time filling, and always walk in if needed in my helmet.

Visor up+clear screen, not mirrored or dark.

Never any problem.

Where you at?

PS don't try this in a bank, or liquor store...

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Yeah at the pumps whatever. But walking into a place, it's easy to see why they get nervous. It is a mask, and in many places in the world motorcycle crime is very common because it's easy to get away on bikes. America is actually way more lenient than most places about this.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Nope, don't get crap.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I usually pump at station that takes cards so I don't have to come inside. Heck, I don't even get off my bike to pump. My dark tint visor is up for breathing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have gotten crap in both the city and the suburbs for wearing the helmet inside but I think it matters who it is behind the counter and where you are. I usually pay outside at the pump and no one ever said anything there. But when it's cold/there is no one else in line and the clerk asks me to take off my helmet I just walk out then go to another place.
I've explained too many times to people that I'm wearing a mask/neckwarmer,headphones, etc. underneath and it takes way more time to take it off/put it back on than it does to say "$10 on pump 2" and walk out. Some people just don't get it and maybe they are worried about crime, which is real in some places so I understand, but if I'm walking in then out it would be dumb to take the helmet off.
If the weather is nice or there is a line inside I usually take off my helmet since I don't want the clerk to think I'm sketchy. The more time you're in the store with the helmet on I think it makes people more sketched out because it can be intimidating and the potential for something to happen is higher.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I almost always leave my lid on when I'm at the pump fueling up. I do take mine off if I need to go inside for something. I look at it just as a courtesy kind of thing; try to put myself in the employee's position. Several times I've gone inside to buy water, etc., and employees have thanked me for taking my helmet off before coming inside. It seems like most appreciate it so I don't mind.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Our refueling process in Aus is a bit different than the US. I learned that the hard way 😬 when I tried to fill up for the first time in US.
Here we pull up, pump the fuel in and than walk in to pay once the tank is full.
So some stations will not turn the pump on until you remove your helmet, but most don’t seem to be too fussed. Technically I’m pretty sure everyone is supposed to remove their helmet before walking into service stations but it’s not really enforced.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not privy to every state law or local statutes, but in general, motorcycle helmets are exempt (if riding a motorcycle) from the legal definition of a "mask", and it is perfectly acceptable to enter a quick stop establishment wearing it. A bank on the other hand, well, common sense dictates here. Furthermore, the definition of wearing a mask inside a business is a violation of state law only during commission of a crime. Again this does necessarily apply for local city/county statutes.

As a general rule of thumb if a gas station does not explicitly state that you as a motorcycle rider cannot wear a helmet at the pump or for that matter inside the store, it is perfectly legal. If the clerk has any issues with it, they can kick you out and/or trespass you if you do not comply.

--IMO

·
Registered
65 Posts
I dont get off the bike or remove helmet to pump. BUT if I had to go inside I would move my bike out of the way and take the helmet off.

·
Registered
348 Posts
havent had a problem here getting gas either, sometimes I dont get off my bike and leave my dark green visor down haha
That's a good plan. More than one motorcyclist's day has been cut short by fuel spill into the eyes. I always leave all of my gear on while fueling a hot motorcycle. I don't let anyone choose my safety precautions.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a good plan. More than one motorcyclist's day has been cut short by fuel spill into the eyes. I always leave all of my gear on while fueling a hot motorcycle. I don't let anyone choose my safety precautions.

If you don't put your shield down, at least gopro that money shot, it would be the first I've ever seen that happen.

What do you do when you are taking a piss in a toilet? You squint, look away, wear your helmet? Ask Dane Cook about that. :laugh:

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you don't put your shield down, at least gopro that money shot, it would be the first I've ever seen that happen.

What do you do when you are taking a piss in a toilet? You squint, look away, wear your helmet? Ask Dane Cook about that.
Who's Dane Cook? Name sounds familiar...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Dane Cook is a comedian who dropped his cell phone in a toilet while taking a piss. The cell phone splashing into the toilet produced a single urine droplet which projected upwards and made direct contact with his eyeball.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Furthermore, the definition of wearing a mask inside a business is a violation of state law only during commission of a crime. Again this does necessarily apply for local city/county statutes.
That's a fair statement. I'm going to play devil's advocate here, what if I'm wearing those medical masks and the like in general because I'm sick? If that's OK, then wear your helmet inside and let the clerk know that you're sick. If they still demand you take it off, cough like there's no tomorrow. >:)

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I pay at the pump and don’t even get off the bike. The only thing I take off is my gloves. If I have to go inside any establishment the helmet comes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Never occurred to me to go into the Qwick-E-Mart with my helmet on. Kind of a **** move IMHO.

In SC, USA, it's certainly not illegal to keep your helmet on pumping gas. And no one's ever said 'boo' to me at the pump when I've had it on. If they did, they'd get a one-fingered response. Which, granted, would be kind of a **** move.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Heh, this reminded me of when I just started riding. I stopped by a bank to make a deposit and got some really nasty looks from everyone inside. I walked in, in a dark helmet, with a tinted shield, DOWN.

As for the gas station thing? Never even considered it. Helmet stays on in the winter and off otherwise.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts