Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My gauge cluster randomly stopped functioning properly. During turn key it lights up like this with garbled LCD markings:

and than stays on like this:

Neutral light works, but needle and everything else does not work. The bike starts up fine and runs smoothly as normal, so I do not think it is the ECU? I've disconnected the battery for 30 seconds to see if things change, but they do not.

Do I have a bad gauge cluster? Should I replace it or can I get it repaired?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine had something similar happen and it was just a blown fuse. Wouldn't hurt to check those. Check the simple little things first.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I checked the fuse panel near the shifter on the left side and all of the fuses appeared to be intact. Are there other areas for fuses?

I also switched the 10A fuses around and when I disconnect the ILLUM fust, the clock will stay on if the bike is off, but it will still only read "ILO" like the pic.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Only thing I can think of besides the fuse is to check the connection to the gauge cluster. Try unplugging it and checking all the pins are clean and plugging back in snug.

Also make sure your battery is fully charged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only thing I can think of besides the fuse is to check the connection to the gauge cluster. Try unplugging it and checking all the pins are clean and plugging back in snug.

Also make sure your battery is fully charged.

Thanks for the replies. I actually unhooked it and opened up the cover to see if there are any immediate areas of issues. To my untrained eye, everything looked clean. I replugged it and it's still doing the same thing. My battery is good also.

·
Registered
587 Posts
9 times out of 10 = fuse.
Doesn't hurt to reseat them. Pull it out and put new one in nice and snug. I went out and got a variety of extra fuses just because.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'm going to buy some new fuses and a low beam bulb today.

I will also mention that my side blinkers do not function properly, (right will blink fast if I hold the right position and left only pops on the lcd display but will not light up) and Also, my high beams do not work either.

My hi beam bulb appears to be intact and not blown but I just noticed my low beam blew shortly after my gauge stopped working. Perhaps a coincidence or are they all connected?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
from your pictures it looks like you have loose wires everywhere. Get those cleaned up and check for splits/exposed wires

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
also, I see you have the black tribal fairings... If you ever want to get rid of those I might be interested in them depending on their condition :thumbup:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I see your rubber plugs are missing for the sel and reset buttons. If any water got in, you could be looking at a partially fried board. If your fuses and contacts on the connector look fine, I'd crack open the case and see if there's any signs of water damage. Similar thing happened to mine but it was only limited to the buttons.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see your rubber plugs are missing for the sel and reset buttons. If any water got in, you could be looking at a partially fried board. If your fuses and contacts on the connector look fine, I'd crack open the case and see if there's any signs of water damage. Similar thing happened to mine but it was only limited to the buttons.
Got new fuses and checked the front wiring areas. I'm beginning to think the gauge cluster itself is damaged. I opened up the cluster cover and I see nothing wrong with the board from my untrained eye, but I was think the same thing about the water getting into the cover.

Is there anyway to have it repaired if I narrowed it down to the board?

If there's anyone in the 757 VA area, that is willing to let me try their gauge or try mine on their bike to confirm it's the gauge cluster is damaged, I'll buy you some beer or compensate a payment for your time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It ended up being a spliced a wire being disconnected because the previous owner installed a power commander and modded the wiring harness!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts