Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E-mail I wrote to SPEED this morning:

I am writing (again) to detail my displeasure at the programming selection offered by the "SPEED" Channel. To cut right to it, we both know that NASCAR is the hottest thing going in motor sports right now, and as such you guys have got to ride that horse until he puts you down. My point is that, if that is all you guys are going to discuss, publicize or televise just change your name to the "NASCAR Network"!?!? I live in Alabama where NASCAR was cool (Bubba), before it was COOL, even though I am not a big fan. So I understand it better than most. But I am really perturbed at (what I think is) the consistent lack of coverage of my favorite motor sport: motorcycle racing. Sundays are usually pretty good in that you guys will show whatever Moto GP, World Superbike or AMA Superbike events that take place on that particular weekend. But I personally think that you should commit to showing motorcycle races during that afternoon time block REGARDLESS. The aforementioned series' support classes, classic races from the past, Supermoto, Supercross, etc., just to name a few would be excellent choices to make a more well rounded motorcycle block, YEAR-ROUND. For instance, this week 26-June-2005, you are showing the World Superbike races on Tuesday afternoon at 1:00 and 2:00 p.m and not even a late night repeat!?!? Also if you are going to call it "Two Wheeled Tuesday" PLEASE show stronger commitment to it. There is the aforementioned afternoon racing block (not trying to discriminate here, but I think most people still work 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. type hours so I often wonder who besides TIVO owners can enjoy it) and then Greg's Garage and some cruiser stuff. [insert incredulous smiley face with arched eyebrows here] So in closing I encourage you to check your demographics, convene some focus groups or whatever drives your programming decisions, but please improve your motorcycle content. Thank you.

They probably have my isp address blocked, HA!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm from Canada and speed is the only channel that I get to watch any motorcycle related shows on other than local MX. I have also noticed how crappy the programing has gotten latley on speed with all the NASCAR garbage. Personally I don't understand the hype of it all, watching cars race in a circle. We should organize mass emails to speed and try to drive the point across to them! haha

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
All motorcyclist do is complain. If I was speed I would pull Greg's garage as well. When they do anything for motorcycles someone writes them and coplains about the coverage, the time slot or whatever. Speed is a business. They are going to do what they see making them the most money.

If you want better coverage, then support Jordan Motorsports and any other high profile name that wants to join the sport. They will eventually bring coverage with them.

Write OLN or something to that effect and express your interest in them covering Motorcycle racing. Maybe when the contract are up, if they have recieved enough suppor, they can justify laying out the money for coverage. Catch more flies with honey.

·
Registered
341 Posts
As much as I dislike the A$scar programming on speed and agree with you, the simple fact is we're the minority. They've done the focus group thing, checked their demographis etc... and have found for every letter/email/call they receive for something other than nascar, they get many more for nascar. It's just the unfortunate reality that thats what sells right now in america. Dave despain has voiced this opinion several occasions and has asked people to write/phone/fax in on it.

Although it's funny the racing series with the highest growth rate right now isn't nascar (which I think is already oversaturated), but rather sportscar racing (ALMS, Rolex, and Speed's own series).

It would certainly be nice to see motorcycle racing and motorcycling in general go up in this country. If gas prices keep inching upward, it just might.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I was awefully shocked with the coverage for the first few weeks after moving to the US from england. I dropped the channel from my list a couple of days ago because I never really saw anything listed but, Nascar, Nascar 360 and somebodies garage where they do nothing but advertise products you can use in the garage :( Its amazing everytime someone here says. Wow i here y'all only have 5 channel over there in england.. I now think yeah and you'd be amazed on how much I'd pay to receive them.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
save your money on the cable bill buy the pay per view package
from the main source motoGP that is what i did

·
Registered
657 Posts
I agree Speed really pisses me off, and the coverage of the AMA stuff is really crap, the race starts and they show you a onboard view of someone who is mid pack so do don't know whats happening up front at the start of the race,(good move there) the whole coverage in general is just crap, with a good race happening up front they start talking about a bloke getting lapped for about 5 mins and dont get me wrong here coverage for everyone is a good thing but not when there a hoofing race happening, never before have i watched a race and gotten pissed off, but watching AMA's just irritates me, then after the race they give you a quick 20 second interview with the winner and nothing for 2nd or 3rd,they need to have coverage like World Superbike thats spot on. i feel better now,just thought i'd get that off my chest

·
Registered
322 Posts
FU_K SPEED ...I mean, NASCAR CHANNEL!

Not even because they don't show alot of Moto GP (motorcyle) racing but because all the quality racing (LeMans, Trans Am, SCCA, etc, classic/vintage) has been cut to nill for "lets drive around in a fu_kin circle a 100 times racing...

I want to know, is Nascar spreading to more and more ramdom people OR are the RED NECKS breading that quickly?

I think we might have an epidemic on our hands!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ive been waiting for some1 to say something it pisses me off so much every time i go to speed channel nascar this nascar that , nascar sux all they do i go around and aorund. Needs more motorcycles. and other sports

·
Registered
366 Posts
Totally agree. I heard from a coworker of mine that back in the day they used to show more motorcycle races. Replays 3 times a day on Sundays. 2 wheel tuesdays are just that, 2 wheels all day long.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The same can be said for any type of racing other than nascar. I am a member of an import board (clubrsx) and they have the same complaints. There is a video of Dave DeSpain answer the questions posed here. He goes on a rant and I can't remember what he says, but I think it was something like, "When your sport pulls 120,000 people to an event and it is in the US we will show more of it." Appeal to the masses attitude I guess. I hate nascar as much as anybody.

Why is it that MotoGP and World superbike look like they were taped in about 1993 and AMA looks like it was taped in 2005?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
HERE IT IS FROM DAVE DESPAIN:
As we get ready to go out the door here there are just a couple of
last things that I'd like to get off my chest. First of all, to all of you
assholes who send me shitty e-mails accusing me of selling out the
motorcycle people to do a god damn car show, screw you. I am just so
tired of hearing that ****. And if I hear one more bitch about too much god
damn much NASCAR on this network I'm going off, because of course there's
too god damn much NASCAR on the network. It's because there's too god damn
many NASCAR fans. And who's god damn fault is that? It's sure as hell not
mine. Son of a bitch I'm sick of hearing that ****.
Oh wait, I forgot something. It's my last chance to remind you that
when we come back in mid-january we're gonna re-air Wind Tunnel the
interviews, that series that I hope you're gonna watch; then we'll go live again at
9:00 eastern and run you up to speedweeks at Daytona, and I almost forgot
to mention that. That's really important.
Now, a couple of more things that piss me off. One is this e-mail that
says "Oh that dumbfuck no driving son of a bitch wrecked my favorite driver
again." Come on, that's ********. Dumbass driving errors don't have a
god damn thing to do with whether you like the ******* guy. And all you
damn kids who suggest that I'm a ******* shill for somebody; the god damn
IRL, the ******* CART or those sons of bitches in NASCAR, **** that.

·
Registered
492 Posts
LOL. hes got issues. but it does suck to turn to speed channel and all you ever see is nascar ****. that stuff isnt to fun to watch for me. going in circles, just one big circle.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I'm grateful to be able to watch as many reaces as we do, because not long ago there weren't any on at all. I've sent hatemail to SPEED bevore to, but what's the point really? Other than to try and piss off whoever has to read your email?

·
Registered
971 Posts
About 4 years ago, I caught a bit of a WRC event on Speed, and I fell in love. What a cool fuggin sport. I got Speed right after and then got into Moto Gp and all the other bike racing. Tuesdays use to be so cool on Speed, but now it's almost a joke. It sucks to see the bike stuff getting squeezed out by Nascar, but hopefully it will start getting more and more popular in the US. With the Moto Gp back in the states, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts