Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
BOTM Winner 04/14
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided it was time to gather the work performed on the bike in one place instead of having threads all over the place. So, even a bit late, here is the story...

Had an FZ6 before my RR. Sold it and decided to live without bikes. This was probably the most short-term decision of my life :crackup:

Once I decided to go for a 2008 RR, I was dead set for a white/black one. Could not find one in the market, but I did find a red/black which I liked as much. First lousy pics as soon as I got her home in April 2010:

Roll on to the first weekend and got on the saddle for a short trip. First decent pics, and of course the first mod on the bike (already). Got two different sized tank bags, one for day trips & one for moving around town. (details & review on Held Slide system).

More to come in the next few days, this is just the beginning :banger:

·
BOTM Winner 04/14
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next thing was to buy OES frame and fork sliders, Motovation rear axle sliders and spools for the swing-arm. Unfortunately I do not have any pics of the parts, but they will show up in pictures I will post in the future. They still hold up nicely and saved the frame & fairings in a couple of clumsy and awkward moments :poke:

·
BOTM Winner 04/14
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike has been used predominantly for touring and commuting, along with the occasional blast in the twisties. So until I prepare the next post (which actually contains mods :poke: ), here's a set of pictures from various touring trips I took on the island:

·
BOTM Winner 04/14
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
continued...

And one from a spirited ride in the local playground. Angry Birds - Cyprus edition :crackup: This guy hit me while I was doing more than 70. "Thankfully" it was just bad luck for the poor bird...

·
BOTM Winner 04/14
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
During this time I made minor changes to the bike, including:

1) I didn't like the idea of no-cut sliders, so I replaced them with OES cut-sliders. Change is visible on the pictures above

2) Added front & rear axle sliders,

3) Spools for the new Bikelift stand

4) Bought reflective wheel stripe in red through ebay. Installed on the rear. I didn't like the quality of the sticker and stopped before doing the front wheel. To this day I have tried a million ways to remove and I couldn't remove it. Even used professional grade glue remover, it will STILL not come off. So I am killing it cm by cm with immense effort for every few millimetres. Patience is key :spank: I think it will be completely removed by year 2023...

5) Installed a set of goodridge brake lines to improve the feel on the brake lever.

6) Got a cheap motorcycle cover through e-bay for protection from the elements.

·
BOTM Winner 03/14
2,497 Posts
Paine nice places you have been. I took the rim stickers off my bike and what I found to help was a little heat and as you peel the sticker pull up and away from the direction of the sticker.

·
BOTM Winner 04/14
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Then...the modding bug hit. Badly. Cause? I visited the local track for the first time

Yup, this picture has the word BEGINNER written all over it :)

More mods coming soon

·
BOTM Winner 04/14
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paine nice places you have been. I took the rim stickers off my bike and what I found to help was a little heat and as you peel the sticker pull up and away from the direction of the sticker.
Tried the heat gun way too....to my surprise, it didn't work either. :banghead:

·
BOTM Winner 04/14
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, after the first few visits at the track I was hooked :)

In a further attempt to improve braking I decided to change the front pads for Ferodo sintered pads. They were ok for the street but gave up on me at the track. Switched to Braking gold (track only) pads, can't remember the code. I have used them for 3 track-days until now and they seem to hold up fine. For brake fluid, after replacing it with numerous brands and types, I ended up with Motul RBF600 which seems to be better in my opinion.

Then, this showed up to my door :)

I was quite happy with this purchase, it offered good adjustability as well. In my opinion investing in a good master cylinder was a good decision. :thumbup:

·
BOTM Winner 04/14
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Very nice. How much of a difference between stock and this?
For street use...maybe just noticeable. It does feel that it bites stronger, but I don't know if that translates to actual braking distance, since I changed pads and fluid before I actually tested it. What I like more is that at the track, I would say it offers a consistent and linear feel throughout the day, given that everything else (pads, fluid & lines) are in good condition. Also the ability of the RCS to change settings from 18 to 20mm, which has a noticeable difference in that initial bite feel and how it progresses with more lever pressure. A bit tricky to put it into words :)

EDIT: the actual braking distance did become much shorter when the complete system was updated. Meaning good brake fluid, brake lines, pads and M/c. Basically everything except for the calipers.

·
BOTM Winner 04/14
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After attending a few trackdays, the front forks started to leak oil. It was time to service the forks. Taking the opportunity I thought I should change the springs as well to match my weight, since the front was way too soft for my liking. I was soon out of adjustment for preload and compression.

So I contacted the local k-tech dealer and order new forl and dust seals. And Springs. And an SSK piston kit :)

So, onto the work:

Before

Stock compression flow adjuster

Protect anodised part

Protect anodised part

Debris from old oil

Leaking fork seals

Pack of goodies.K-tech ssk fork compression and rebound piston kit, revised shim stacks,spring according to rider weight,K-tech dust seals and shaft seals

K-tech left,stock parts right

K-tech compression flow valve

·
BOTM Winner 04/14
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Even for a beginner like me, the difference was obvious. The adjustability was felt every couple of clicks unlike the stock forks. Adjusted the front to my liking and felt better over bumps as well. In an effort to set the bike properly, I found out that the rear shock was seized. The preload wouldn't budge no matter what we tried. Even took it out and tried to make it work with no success. In the end, I decided to buy another used ones and got one for really cheap over ebay.

Well, since I re-valved the front with so much success, I decided it was worth the money to do the rear as well. So I sent the newly acquired rear shock to K-Tech again, to get it revalved and respringed.

A couple of weeks and it was back to my door

Good news for the bike, but if you noticed the shock was assembled wrongly by some amateur locally. Apparently is wasn't assembled in the UK....easy to fix though, no problems with that.

Again the difference was night and day. After properly setting up the front and rear, the bike feels right and the wear on tyres is as it should be.

The re-valve and re-spring solution seems to cost, but I would do it all over again. Definitely recommended.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts