Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i got some cash back from the tax man, plus a buddy repaid an outstanding loan he's been promising for the past 2 years. what do i do with the money?

I want:
  • a reevu helmet, but im not sure it works that well on a sportbike
  • a gear indicator, cause i always lose count of which gear im in, but is that really so bad, im almost used to it, and i would not be able to mount the gear indicator myself anyway.
  • a bike trailer so i can take the bikes wherever i need them, but ill probably only use that twice a year.
i can only afford either the first two, or the last one, not all three together.

opinions please

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
i'd say go with the first 2. i mean if you haul your bikes somewhere you can always rent a uhaul or whatever the rental trailers are where you are at.

on the other hand, you can use the trailer for things other than just hauling the bike around

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'd say go with the first 2. i mean if you haul your bikes somewhere you can always rent a uhaul or whatever the rental trailers are where you are at.

on the other hand, you can use the trailer for things other than just hauling the bike around

good point. i already have a normal trailer, used for holidaying, and i can rent a bike trailer for a 10th of th ecost fo one, which saves on the insurance as well. good point, thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
Gear indicator FTW!

I would get a healtech gipro gear indicator, easy to fit, plugs straight into the diagnostic plug.

I have the Acumen DG8 but on the '07 onwards its hard to fit the plug and play loom behind the clocks, not so bad with the earlier than 07 bikes though so had to solder it into the loom.

Why would you not be able to mount it yourself??

First (ish) thing i would fit to any future bike if it didnt have one.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would you not be able to mount it yourself??
i read elsewhere on this forum that its not guaranteed that the electrical harness has the plug. ill only be able to see this once i open her up and i dont want to cut into wires for it.

i may feel different once im convinced the gear indicator is worth it.

ive got a 2005 model

·
Registered
991 Posts
Personally I would pass on the gear indicator. Like you said, you are almost used to it. With more time in the seat you will start to know what the bike feels like in every gear and you wont even need it anymore. I would personally save up for a trailer. Or if you are in need of a new helmet get that but still pass on the gear indicator. Unless you just want it to add a trick part to the bike, Ill have to agree with you there I think it looks cool. Not really going to help your riding though

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Personally I would pass on the gear indicator. Like you said, you are almost used to it. With more time in the seat you will start to know what the bike feels like in every gear and you wont even need it anymore. I would personally save up for a trailer. Or if you are in need of a new helmet get that but still pass on the gear indicator. Unless you just want it to add a trick part to the bike, Ill have to agree with you there I think it looks cool. Not really going to help your riding though
I don't know....for 7 years I tried shifting into 7th on the highway. Wasn't til I got to the track and was forced to think and count shifts that I got over that.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I don't know....for 7 years I tried shifting into 7th on the highway. Wasn't til I got to the track and was forced to think and count shifts that I got over that.
Lol I stand corrected then. I raced motocross when I was younger so I guess it just got pounded into me from a young age. I still think that if I had the choice, the trailer would be mine. Plus you can use it for more than just the bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im not bothered shifting to 7th, but i am bothered shifting down from3rd to 2nd then locking up the rear cause im actually in 1st now, lol

·
Registered
663 Posts
I go through neutral on the way to first so I know if I've gone too far before I let the clutch out. All about feeling and listening.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Go ahead and get a gear indicator if you like, but I have one and have to say it's the most totally useless thing I think you can put on a bike - mine was on my used bike when I bought it. I've read some track guys find it useful (I'm not one, at least not yet so I can't comment on that one way or another), but to me it's just one more thing to look down at and take your eyes off the road. Mine is also slow to change and show the gear; generally, when I look at the stupid thing, I'm just trying to confirm what gear I think I'm in and I'm right almost all the time, but the gear indicator draws my attention away from other things - usually, I just ignore it now except when stopping to make sure I'm in first. More importantly, the gear indicator requires me to release the clutch to recognize the gear, by which point I already know based on the reaction of the bike when the engine engages again. Newer ones may be better on this point.

I have to say I find it quite easy to know what gear I'm in based on speed (relative to traffic) and RPMs (based on sound), but more importantly, the amount of engine braking feedback I get while slowing down or power while speeding up tells me if I should shift or not. I really don't even worry what gear it is, even when I know. I would give you my totally useless indicator for nothing if you lived anywhere near me, but for now I don't even want to waste 1 minute removing that P.O.S. and certainly don't want to spend money shipping it. Just my opinion, maybe track guys can give you a reason to get one, but I'd stay away from them.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so with a little more attwention i can avoid the cost of a gear indicator. so that leaves the reevu or the trailer.

what else is nice to add to a 2005 cbr 600rr. heated grips (were just coming out of winter and it will only start getting colder in june 2013 again)? knee guards (ive never put my knee down. not needed on the street).

looks like its gonna be the reevu?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
If you don't have stainless brake lines, they are probably the best upgrade you can put on your bike for under 200.

Rearsets are nice to have as well....
But if you want actual improvement to your bike upgrade the brake lines first.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you don't have stainless brake lines, they are probably the best upgrade you can put on your bike for under 200.

Rearsets are nice to have as well....
ive got standard rear sets.

what is the benefit of stainless brake lines?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Rubber brake lines (stock) will have a slight give (expansion) to them which takes away brake feel and power. It will often result in a rubbery feeling when squeezing under hard braking.

Stainless steel lines will not expand, and will transfer all the pressure from the master cylinder to your calipers, increasing braking power and feel.

Day to day street riding end result, is not having to brake as hard in certain situations, better feel for braking, and if you are a two finger braker, it will make that much easier. And of course, MORE braking power for those oh **** moments.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts