Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the right gearing for VIR North? I was watching AMA Superbike today and I thought I heard that they were pulling 170 mph on the main straight. That sounds like 1 tooth down from stock in the rear, but the question is would there be enought time to get there? Since I am not going to buy a 42 tooth sprocket I guess I'll just go back to stock? 15/45 tops out around 140-145 mph it seems.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
those guys are also HAULING ASS out of the last corner on the straight. I'll be running 15 45 but who knows what that will do.

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,875 Posts
and that was also 170 on a 1000cc SUPERBIKE... i'd guess 600's would top out at like 150 or so, prob running 15/45 or 15/44

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that those are heavily modded 1000's. I guess I should have put that in there.

Our bike tops out at 167 w/ stock gearing (at least that is what my '05 i "supposed" to do). At Summit Point Main, on the 2900' main straight, I was several hundred rpm shy of topping out in 6th w/ 15/45 and it felt like I was doing around 140-145 mph.

I was just curious if anyone had any feedback. It will take all of 10 minutes to drop the rear wheel and change it at the track. I just thought someone here might have some experience in the department.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I have not run my 600 at VIR. The RC is too much fun there. However, my buddies that run R6s have dropped one tooth front and rear. For a rider turning a 133 on an 02 R6, this gearing has worked fine. Another friend on an 03 R6 is using the same gearing with a 135 result. When turning a 133, the bike just hits the rev limiter going into the braking zone.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok...and an R6 uses what gearing??????? And the price of tea in china is?????

hondaf4iguy said:
I have not run my 600 at VIR. The RC is too much fun there. However, my buddies that run R6s have dropped one tooth front and rear. For a rider turning a 133 on an 02 R6, this gearing has worked fine. Another friend on an 03 R6 is using the same gearing with a 135 result. When turning a 133, the bike just hits the rev limiter going into the braking zone.

·
6,875 Posts
15/45 will top out at about 148... his point is you should gear it to top out at the brake markers, what ever that is for your drive out of 17 and shifting

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
of course. I understand gearing goals and how to gear properly...I just have no idea where any of the markers are and what gearing for an r6 is. I also dont have a clue what a good lap time is. You could say a 600 is a 600 but transmission gear ratios are probably different.

I'll just go out and run a session with 15/45 and see how that goes and adjust accordingly.

·
6,875 Posts
superbike race pace was what, 1:25-6, mike mentioned guys running 1.33-1.35 on the r6's in their races.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I will double check with the guys about the gearing.

A 1:24 was the lap record on a 1000. If you can run a 1:33, that is good for 3rd place in a WERA SS race.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
15/45 will work fine on the north course. I'd think I have ever hit the rev limiter in 6th on this track. Also I run 1.38s on this course.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can run a 1:33, that is good for 3rd place in a WERA SS race.
Is this in the Expert or the AM class?

1:30-1:33 sounds like a good time to aim for. I am going down there primarily to coach, and the tires on my bike are toast, so I won't be pushing it too much. I have some take offs with only a few races on them so I'll probably spoon those on. But I should get a chance to lay down a few hot laps to get a rough idea of where I would end up in a race at that track.

I just have never been there before. VIR has always been kinda elusive to me with the distance and times that there have been trackdays there. I'm really looking forward to it.

I also hope to have someone that I can run the pace with. Saturday at Pocono was boring as I was lapping every person out in the Blue (advanced) group. Some of the faster guys I race with came out but the rain kept a lot of people, including myself, from even wanting to ride.

Keepin my fingers crossed for clear skies this coming weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts