Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my rearsets and had to replace the gearshift arm and pedal. I took the old arm off of the gearshift spindle and tried to put the new one on. As I was pushing it into place the spindle itself actually moved. It slid about 1/2" into the bike. I can grab it with my hand and pull it back out where it should be but it sure doesn't seem like this should happen. Is something horribly wrong? I should note that I recently replaced the clutch cover as well. It went smoothly and I didn't actually touch the clutch so I dont think there should be any problems from that but I suppose it's possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can shift when I pull it outward where it's supposed to be. If I push on it, I can no longer shift. I figure it's possible that it's supposed to do that, it just seems pretty easy to take away the bike's ability to shift.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
eek! that happened on my friends 2006. it's not supposed to be able to slide in. there is a tab on the opposite side of the engine that keeps it from sliding into the clutch on the other side.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
i had to take off the engine case cover from the other side. take out the clutch basket and i just bent the tab back into place. check out the schematics to see what im talking about. with his bike it was cause by a light tap with a hammer to try to get the linkage back on. wasn't going smooth so he gave it a few taps. that was enough to mess it up though. after the hammer it could slide back and forth. once he started the bike and the shaft moved towards the clutch side, you could hear a horrible clicking, knocking, pinging sound.

·
Registered
936 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like that's it. Thanks a lot.

A quick look at the service manual shows clutch removal to be rather annoying. Am I definitely going to need a "Clutch center holder" to get the center lock nut off or is there a trick to do it without? Any other suggestions or tips on the process?

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
you just put the bike in gear....like 5th or 6th from what i remember. no special tools required, i think there was actually a how-to on this somewhere here on .net.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool. Thanks for the suggestions. I had searched .net but only found a slipper clutch installation (which gets me through the removal at least). Do you recall if I will need to replace the lock nut (or any other parts for that matter).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, thanks again. I'm starting to think this won't be all that bad. Annoying, but doable. Do you think it's possible to take out the clutch center with the discs still on or will I definitely have to remove all of them individually?

Also, the manual also says to lube up the clutch outer sliding surfaces with molybdenum oil... is that something a Pep Boys will carry? Or will there be enough remaining on the parts to skip the reapply?

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
it's not bad at all. you have to take the discs out in order to get the basket off(big nut). if the pep boys doesn't carry it, im sure the plates will still be nice and juiced up when you get them off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
FYI - Just wanted to say thanks to the original poster and respondents....

I suffered the same fate this weekend and because of this post, was able to diagnose the issue exactly. Went from fear of having to pull entire engine to semi-relief for only having to dig past the clutch basket.

Bent tab too. What a lame design and expected more from Honda...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like that's it. Thanks a lot.

A quick look at the service manual shows clutch removal to be rather annoying. Am I definitely going to need a "Clutch center holder" to get the center lock nut off or is there a trick to do it without? Any other suggestions or tips on the process?

BTW - Anyone else stumbling onto this thread - Motion Pro makes a clutch-basket holding tool (about $30 US) that most bigger bike shops would have on hand/in stock. Well worth it to have around

1 - 20 of 30 Posts