Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This moring i put my back pack on my rear seat while i was putting on my helmet. When i went to grab it, the strap got cought around the rear peg... then i thought: Hmmmmm, what do we have here?

Guess what? Both straps of my back back fit nicley around my rear pegs. The muffler does not get in the way, no straps are left hanging, and my seat was completly free :D So i rode off to work with my back pack on my rear seat. It felt so nice to ride the bike with nothing on my back.

Give it a shot.

Now i;m going to look for a better looking back pack :razz:

·
Registered
391 Posts
You shouldn't be wearing a backpack when you ride. One more thing to catch when you go down.

Try a bungee from stap to strap under the tail with the pack resting on the tail section. Very secure and nothing dangling.

·
Registered
105 Posts
From last fall by me:

Long story short, I'm riding with buddies to Whistler on my bike, and I notice my friends are no longer behind me. I think, jee, I hope no one fell down, I'll slow down and give em 60 seconds before I turn around and go back. Next thing I know (doing about 70Km/hour), my bike is sideways, I'm tossed off, and thinking "oh my god, im dead". I wake up with emergency personell around me asking me my name and what day it is.

Now, I was lucky, I was wearing full protectdion and boots/gloves etc...along with a LOVELY rf-900 shoei helmet, (all of which is now FUCKED from my 60 foot flight thru the air and subsequent 80 foot skid down the center of the road, with a few ragdolls tossed in for good measure). And my bike is surprisingly only got a bit of faring damage, and footpeg damage, easily fixable.

What caused the accident? Well, my backpack was slowly opened by the buffetting wind, and caused a few items of clothing to fall out, which caused my friends to stop and pick them up, which is why I lost sight of them. The LAST shirt in my bag, a nike dri-fit long-sleeve football top, blew out, and since I was decelerating to look in my mirrors for my friends, promplty got sucked into my rear brake caliper and applied 100% stopping force. It was like someone shoved a steel rod into my rear tire, I had no chance. Now I have to go sit through all the insurance meetings to get my gear replaced and my bike fixed, and I'm bruised as ****, but otherwise ok.

Moral of the story? Zapstrap/Velcro your **** shut when riding with a backpack or tank bag. I never even thought of it, and the cop said he'd been peeling bikers off the road for 30 years and hadn't ever seen anything like that before. Maybe it saves someone else from getting owned by a Nike shirt or other article of clothing getting caught in the chain or caliper.

V

·
0 Posts
rnpvenom, Crazy story. Glad you are ok. When I ride with my backpack I make sure to pull my zippers all they way down to the side so it definitely wont open up on me.

I had my backpack open up on me when I was skiing because I had something heavy in the front pocket which pulled the two zippers on the big compartment because I had the two meet at the top of the bag and not on the sides. I learned my lesson then when I had to climb back up the mountain to pick my **** up. How is Whistler in the summer?

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I rode with a backpack on for the first time over the weekend. I was surprised, did not even feel like it was there.

"shrug"
Jason

ps. Yeah post pix of the backpack setup on the seat, curious.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yah, nothing i had ever thought of as a concern, learned that lesson i tell ya. :)

I came out pretty good with a new arai wraith and a bunch of mods, so s'all good, but what are odds i tell ya...

C

·
0 Posts
rnpvenom, thats some crazy schitt. Glad your okay. My worst nightmare!

I use a simple paper clip to wire my zippers together.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Here is a pro to wearing backpacks.

When I crashed and landed on my back and slid about 40' guess what took most of the damage.. My backpack. Since I was sliding on it, my helmet did not even touch the ground.. Saved myself $$

·
Registered
314 Posts
VinRR said:
rnpvenom, Crazy story. Glad you are ok. When I ride with my backpack I make sure to pull my zippers all they way down to the side so it definitely wont open up on me.
I do the same thing. I noticed that when I had the zippers closed at the top of the pack (in the center) that they tend to open while riding. When I put them all the way down like you do I have never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What rnpvenom said is so true. I know a guy who had used one of those bungee nets to hold down his jacket liner while riding in Northern Cali. The wind somehow pulled the liner down into the rear wheel. Locked up the wheel on the freeway. Somehow he rode it out to a complete stop without falling.

I never wear a back pack unless I just absolutely have no choice. I have a friend who wrecked wearing back pack and everytime he rolled, the back pack caused enough leverage to make him bash his right elbow in the ground violently, over and over again. He is pretty sure he would have just slid otherwise. Elbow was destroyed.

Personally, I use a Fox tank bag that I strap very securely to the rear seat using the quick release straps provided. I put the center single strap under the rear seat near the rear of the bike, and the other 2 on the opposite end of the bag under the driver seat. Like this, it isn't going anywhere. I also put one bungee over the bag using the passenger pegs just for added security.

ben

1 - 17 of 17 Posts